CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

sensor ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sensor ?

My red light just came on how do i know which one is bad. Or what is wrong.My fan comes on.
I also looked in the oil tank and oil is moving,i know thats no pressure test but,the engine sounds fine,not like it was hot or not enough oil.

I guess i need to get a temp gauge and oil pressure gauge.

Old 05-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default sensor ?

just my two cents ok here goes, I am 99% sure the nuetral and oil light work with the ground meaning there is a hot wire to both bulbs all the time, it is when you put your bike into nuetral that a gear or something touches the contact by the front sprocket anyway the same goes for the oil pressure sensor located behind your jug a single wire, I would think if it was me instead of starting it and causing damage i would take out the oil pressure switch and get my multimeter out and check the ohms from the threads to the contact inside the terminal, on the other hand of your light is coming on before your fan comes on then the light goes off after the fan is running maybe you need to flush your radiator or maybe it has dirt in the fins, I dont think these bikes will last much longer than a couple minutes with no oil pressure, if your light is still on try unpluggging the wire on the right side of the motor rear of the upper radiator hosethe fan switch has two wires and the temp switch has one, if it was me I would check my oil pressure switch first by doig an ohm test and if that was ok I would start it and see if the light comes on or is on instantly and does not go off, if it does not go off and I know my oil pressure switch works it is either your temp sensor or you have a place in your wiring where the wire has rubbed through and grounded which in turn mahes your light come on, my fan comes on when I ride now and then, I dont ride very fast just putts around in the woods, If I am wrong someone please correct me on this please? just my two cents brother, let us know what you find out ok?

Old 05-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default sensor ?

The light goes off when i start it.After riding slow and it warms up is when it comes on Then it is
flickering between full on and fadeing.
My neighbor is bringing his tester home after work i will test them then.

Old 05-30-2005, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default sensor ?

well once again in my opinion it sounds to me like you might have a place on the wire where it is worn through, grounding out the circuit hense the fading and full on, if not I would look at the temp switch maybe it is faulty, heres what I would do after you start it and the light comes on or starts flickering unplug the sensor and see if it goes out or is still doing the same thing, I personally like think that the bike wouldnt even get warmed up before it locked up solid if you didnt have any oil pressure, once again my .02 cents, now you just gotta find out which circuit has a short either the oil pressure circuit or the temp citcuit, keep us posted, once again IF i am giving him bad advice someone please correct me,

Old 05-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default sensor ?

Well, if the light goes out after start up then your oil pressure sensor is working. If the fan comes on then your fan temp Solenoid is working. The oil pressure sensor and water temp sensor are linked to that red light and are wired just like jaskass650 said. My guess would be the water temp sensor. The one with the single wire going to it. That one is going bad on you. OR...your low on rad fluid..Dooohhh[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Make sure the radiator fins are not plugged up with crap and that they are not flattened out. You need air to be able to pass through the radiator fins easily.

Old 05-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default sensor ?

Rad fluid is good and it is not plugged up or flattened out.The light goes out right after start up
just like it is supposed to,then comes on and off after it warms up.The fan does come on when it
warms up.
Ill check them all tommorow anyways.Thanks for the help.

Old 05-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default sensor ?

Sound like your oil press switch on top of engine casing behind the cylinder, when it starts to flicker pull the wire of it and it should go out and stay out jackass is right if you earth it it will come on mine did the same after i washed my bike and started it it was ok then once it warmed up the light came on dimly to start with then got brighter.
The switches go bad with water i have had two oil and one fan switch fail on me so far.
the fan switch i replaced with one from a bmw car no problems since as for the oil i fitted a gauge.

Old 05-31-2005, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default sensor ?

I tested all three,the temp switch and sender registered OL
the oil sensor registered 4.5 Is this the one that is bad?
All the sensors were removed from the quad.

Old 05-31-2005, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default sensor ?

well I am no electrician but I think that the sensor should register nothing on the ohms scale, and I think if you had it on the ohms scale and got 4.5 that would mean that it is making contact inside, there is a thread on here about cleaning them out in a frying pan and a peice of wire, search you will find it, once again I am no electrician but I dont think you should have any resistance there cause if you have resistance the switch is making contact inside, ( grounding itself out) just my opinion someone please help me out here, I hope I am not giving him the wrong advice, look at it this way with your multimeter turned on and holding the two elctrodes in my hands I reads .0f and if i touch the two leads on a rusty peice of pipe the gauge goes up to1.700 meaning to me they are making contact but a poor one cause of the rust, I'm not sure what to tell you man I'm sorry someone please bail me out on this, some electrician, sorry brother I tried

Old 06-01-2005, 05:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default sensor ?

Thanks for the help jackass650. Im going to give the stealership a call and see if they
have the part.

Quick Reply: sensor ?