CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Possible destruction of ignition/electrical systems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible destruction of ignition/electrical systems?

I'm not sure, I still have yet to swap in a battery from another bike and see if my DS will still fire, but here's what happened: I got a new battery and installed it, all good I was ready to ride. I fired the bike, sounded great then died. I looked back and my positive battery cable had grounded out somehow and shorted the battery, causing the rubber cover to catch fire, and the battery to start to go up. I quickly kicked it out, but now I am worried that I might have shorted all the electrical in the bike. I'm going to try another battery today or tomorrow and see what happens, but I'm just concerned. Any ideas? Oh and btw: my battery dealer is going to warranty the battery so I get another for free!

Old 05-30-2005, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

if the lead shorted near the battary the current would have run back through the frame to the battarys main earth strap and hopfuly wil not have touched any thing else.

good luck

Old 05-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Also - in THEORY there should be fuses inline to prevent that sort of thing. There should be no way for a short of that type to kill everything else. Be sure to check your fuses before you install a new battery. If the fuses did their job, then you will need to replace one or more of them to get things to work.

What part of Bullhead City do you live in? My parents live in SunRidge off of McCormick. We're probably going to head over there for either this weekend or the next.

Old 05-30-2005, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

I'm on the other end of town, but if you are in town, we should go and ride or something. I know all the trails out here really so, let me know. PM me if you want my cell and I'll show you around.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

Well I just ran my tests... Fuses were fine, everything was still connected, was just a grounded batter onto my battery box. Tried a battery from another bike and it started and ran fine! Can't wait to get the right battery back so I can put it through the paces again!

Old 05-31-2005, 01:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I bet you feel one hell of a lot better knowing your electrical system isn't toast! I heard they were cracking down on where people rode ATVs and stuff in AZ - it made me a little aprehensive since the guy at the Bombardier dealer off of 95 told me you just ride anywhere (that was a year ago and I just recently heard about this 'crackdown' so to speak.)

I've been thinking about dragging the quads over there - perhaps this winter. Is there any riding that is next to the river? Or how about a good spot to park & put up a couple of EZ-UPS? My parents are in their 60s so they'ed like to go out and maybe just hang out while everyone else does the riding.

I think we will be over there either this weekend or next - we're planning on spending one night out on Lake Mohave fishing for catfish in the summer heat - it should be a pretty amusing time. Obviously it wont be the 120 degree killer heat right now but the 100+ temps will be plenty for my Fiance and I.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:47 AM
Pro Rider

You're joking right? Because it has already hit 119 this year. We're setting some new record temps already... it should be a very warm summer. And as far as cracking down on ATV's, well not here in AZ. Everyone rides just about anywhere they want. Just some crazy meth guys you have to be careful of. I had one pull a gun on me for trespassing. The Bomb shop on 95 is horrible. If you need parts or break down or need help out here, call me or Walt's in Havasu. Sunwest Xpress, the name of it, is horrible!!!! There's some pretty good places that you could go out and just set up a camp and camp out and ride all day out here. Fishing is always a good time in the summer, lake and river stuff is the best. Glad to hear someone is smart and coming out after the holiday weekend. It's been crazy with cops everywhere and DUI checkpoints on the lake even!

Old 05-31-2005, 04:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

This weekend was my Dad's birthday, but I couldn't stand the crowds. And the 40 is probably still bumper to bumper from NV to Barstow even right now at midnight. (OK, maybe just half way by now!) I always try to find the weekends when the crowds die down. I don't need to work at just having some time off. Ever go to El Palacio? That is one of our favorite resturaunts when we hit town. It is like a must see kinda thing once per trip. I've been reading some fishing reports of guys catching 100 fish (striped bass) in lake mohave - if I could do just a tenth of that I'd be happy!

Old 05-31-2005, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

If you like El Palacio, I would suggest it's sister restaurant and the original in the chain Casa Serrano. It's in Fort Mojave, the other end of town, but I presonally think the food is better as well as the service. It's also like two miles from my house. Yeah those fishing stories, odd as they are, are true! Yeah, beware traffic has become horrible over the past year, today was no exception.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: monkeyinajar
Sunwest Xpress, the name of it, is horrible!!!!
That's wher I bought both my DS's.

Guess I'm lucky I've never had to use them for parts or service.