CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Have you ever?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you ever?

Fallen off your quad and had to chase it down ? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Not that it ever happened to me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I was just wondering.......LOL

Old 06-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Have you ever?

Yep, quite a few times...but not on the DS!

Old 06-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer
Default Have you ever?

I had a little mishap a few rides ago. We were riding the trails and we came up to a little jump, but we didn't see that there was another one about 3 feet beyond the first. My buddy was in front with his raptor (by choice, haha) and he made it over both but I didn't have enough speed, so I went over the front end, hit my head on the front where the headlight is and then I pretented that I was superman into the grass field that was just beyond these jumps. My buddy said that DS was heading right for me, so he hit my back tire with his front, then he had to jump off his and chase mine down. Had my helmet on, but I hurt my knee, so I'm glad he was able to run it down. He was laughing for about 1/2 hour after that. It was still a good day of riding.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default Have you ever?

This isnt a falling off story, but funny none the less.

We were riding the trails at Haspin Acres Indiana a couple years ago. There were 3 of us. I was last in line, and it was a night ride. the first guy jumps over a log in the trail. Good sized log with about 4 feet of air doing it. 2nd guy hits the jump. Underneath his quad,( since he's in the air), I see the first guy had stopped. Thats a funny site I have to say. We werent moving that fast, so it wasnt like he was going to be landed on. The second guy lands with his brakes on. Hits the back of the first quad and does a half superman while standing still. Seeing how I wasnt involved with it, I find it hilarious. LOL

Gary

Old 06-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default Have you ever?

just last week i was sitting on top of the hill watching some friends and others jump. Well you know how everyone has do the other up, so this guy on a 400ex messes up his landing and his quad rolls over then lands back on its tires still running and starts to roll off the side of the hill. So i hear ppl start screaming save it! I jumped off my quad started running after it (i was like 30 feet away) well just before i reached it it went over the side of the hill lucky the engine braking slowed it down and thats when instincts took over and i dove after it pritty much like i was diving off a diving board. my hands just reached the handle bars and i pulled myself up onto it and drove it down the hill and took back to the guy. LOL it was pritty funny to see it on video

Old 06-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Have you ever?

Back in 1999, just after I got my brand new DS, I took it to my brother’s house to show him. He’s got several quads and the DS was the new thing. We checked it out and his wife wanted to ride it down the street. My brother had this look on his face like maybe this was not a good idea. He said to her, “This has a lot more power than yours so be careful”, and I also said, “ya, just put-put down to the street and back. She went down the street, put-putting, and came backto the cul-de-sac in third gear - accelerating! I was waiting for her in the middle of the cul-de-sac and noticed her speed. She was flying towards me. She went right by me and then she put the rear brakes into a skid. With the curb fast approaching, she turned the DS and now she was sliding sideways right for the curb. She hit the curb, the quad launched up and rolled over upside down landing right on her. Luckily, her leg was located right in the dip of the seat, and didn’t even touch her. But my brand new quad, which hadn’t even been out on the dunes, had smashed handle bars, a broken head light, bent steering stem and ruined plastic. Later we found out that her hip was cracked, which meant pain for about 4 weeks. When she came out from under the DS, she said she felt fine and said, “Im sorry about your quad” and I said, “That’s ok, I know you have good insurance”. My brother and I spent the next 3 weeks fixing everything. I got to know my DS pretty well then!

Then it was my turn. My first accident on my DS came just after I got her back together. I was riding with a group of experienced friends. It was my first time on the dunes at Coos Bay Oregon. After a long day of riding, we back tracked our way back to our camp. My older brother kept telling me to watch out for razor backs. So who listens to their older brother all the time? (not even his wife!). Anyways I got ahead of the group and saw a large dune in front of me with a very gradual incline. The dune looked familiar, and as I remembered it, it was supposed to be just as gradual on the other side. So I came up on the dune at about 30 mph and then the bottom dropped out – I noticed I was about 2 stories, in the air, above the bottom. Luckily I landed on all four tires. The quad rebounded shot me in front of it as my body skipped across the sand face first. When I finally came to a stop, I looked around and my quad was just sitting there, upright about 10 feet behind me. I got back on it, rode it up to the top of the dune and waited for my brother at the top – acting like nothing happened. When my brother caught up he said, “ Hey little brother, you got sand stuffed in your helmet, and three of your tires are flat”. We looked over the dune and saw where I landed – He just shook his head and said in a very loud voice, “WATCH OUT FOR RAZOR BACKS!!!”

We put another steering stem and another set of handle bars. I still don’t listen to my brother that much, but a little more than I used to. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Have you ever?

I got one more,

A few of us were at Silver Lake back in 2001. 3 of us were on top of test hill watching the trucks climb. 15 minutes must have gone by before we wanted to get riding again. To our surprise, there were only 2 quads behind us. Did someone steal it???? Oh no, thats not it. One of my bright friends left the quad in nuetral, pointing down hill. The tracks went all the way down the hill on an angle and about 200 yards off to the right. There was a group of riders standing around his quad scratching their heads as to where this machine came from. LOL Needless to say, we made him walk to get his quad back. LOL

Gary

Old 06-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default Have you ever?

Here's one....

I had just seen a friend of mine ride off a little razor back. As he went over it at sort of an angle it looked like he bailed off the downhill side as he went out of sight. Well I turned and rode over there as fast as I could and just before my DS came to a stop I jumped off and looked over the edge of the razor back and seen my friend tangled up in his quad. I ran down the bank (about 25 feet) and was getting his quad off of him when my DS rolled by us about 20 feet away. I was a like WTF!!! When I had jumped off my DS I quickly turned the key off...but not far enough in my state of mind to help my freind. So as it turned out on the slight slope that we were on the DS just chuged it's way to the edge of the razor and rolled down the hill. We were lucky it did run into us![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2005, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have you ever?

I did an endo at silver lake on the Ds, it launched me down the hill, my DS. was chasing me! I stopped tumbling down the hill, and grabbed the DS, nothing broke on me or the DS except the flag.

Old 06-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Have you ever?

Ok, I've got another one too - Gary try and top this one man!

A few years ago I took the DS out to Sand Lake the chain broke. Im by myself so I sit there and hope that someone comes by to give me a tow. Well, 30 seconds later, some firemen, on vacation came over with his stock 400EX. He hooks up the DS and before I could explain where I was parked, they guy takes off. Ok, now Im being towed by a totally stock, very tired 400EX. The DS is heavy and so am I. We've got two very large dunes to go up. The fireman decides to take a side trail instead - seemed smart at the time. But he gets stuck. Of course, he cant hear a word I am saying, his throttle if full rev and he's high centered - looking straight forward trying to go - not too bright. So I decide to take matters in my own hands and kind of push the DS with my feet while still seated - it worked for a minute - just enough for the DS to run over my leg. Of course, the smart fireman keep going full throttle, bound and determined to go forward, not even looking back. My leg is now permently wedged between the tire and the sand. He's bured again, and we arent going anywhere. But he doesn't let up on the throttle. Im like yelling at him to stop so I can get out from underneath my quad but he doesnt hear a thing. "Great" I think to myself, an off duty fireman is going to take out my leg! So, I manage to peel my leg out from underneath the darn thing (all the while he's at full throttle) and we start moving again. We get to my truck and he says, "Hey, glad I could help - any time..." My leg was sore for a month after that. Stay away from Hillsboro Fire and Rescue. LOL