CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 04:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil

Can I put a semi synthetic oil in a DS 650? On the can it says it is formulated for a clutch type gear box and it meets all the requirements in opertor's guide page 70.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default oil

Here we go again....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Some have said not to use Synthetic oils and others have said there the best thing since toilet paper...... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Personally I have used full synthetic oil in every vehicle I own including my Harley Davidson and my DS. The trick with synthetic oils in a wet clutch system is to make sure it doesn't have added friction modifiers. I use Red-line oils because in my personal opinion they are the best however there are those who prefer Mobile-1 and others. Amsoil is another one that comes to mind but I would research the differences in oil by going to their respective web sites and read all the information you can on the specific properties of the oil. I would also contact their Sales or Tech people and tell them what your specific application will be. Let them recommend which of their products best performs in your bike.

Old 06-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Air
Pro Rider
Default oil

BRP make a very nice synthetic.

Old 06-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default oil

amsoil sels one that is a 10w-40 full synthetic that has a black cap for 6.95 a quart that is wet clutch compatable,and they sell a 10w-40 full synthetic with a red cap for 7.95 a quart that they say has special additives to help the oil keep its viscosity so it can be used specifically in wet clutches, I read an article about oils I will try to find the link anyway it says that oils loose their viscosity in cars in 3000 miles and the same oils loose their viscosity in a wet clutch motor in 20 hrs, just my .02 cents, I have 1.5hrs left and I am gonna switch to amsoil I have castrol gtx 10w-40 in it right now for break in, which i have been using for the last 18.5 hours, once again just my .02 cents, I might be wrong but this is what I have discerned from the article, let us know what you choose

Old 06-15-2005, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default oil

I use Rotella T full synthetic. It's around 9 bucks for a gallon at my local Wal-Mart. I've never had a problem with slippage, though I do have the RWR 60% springs.
I change my oil after every 4 rides, and after every dune trip.
J.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil

Originally posted by: Air
BRP make a very nice synthetic.
Yeah but BRP is bending you over and giving you the reach around at $12 a quart. There are several equivalent alternatives out there at about half the price.

I would recommend performing a search on "synthetic". This topic has been discussed to death many times.

Old 06-15-2005, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer
Default oil

AMSOil, Motul 5100, Mobil-1 MX4T, Mobil-1 Red Cap, Redline, and Golden Spectro are apparently made with high quality additive packages, similar to the commercial synthetics. Personally, I would find it reassuring if these oils were CI-4 certified. However, many motorcyclists have used these oils for years with good results. They are all fine oils, and perfectly acceptable to run in your motorcycle. They are a bit on the pricey side. Delvac-1, AMSOil, Redline and Motul synthetics contain no petroleum oils - they're pure synthetic. To the best of my knowledge, all other synthetic oils contain some amount of Group III oil.

The Green, Blue, and Black Cap Mobil-1 oils are all energy conserving, and should not be used in your motorcycle.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Old 06-15-2005, 10:44 PM
Range Rover
Default oil

I know this is probably one of the most discussed topics to any rider, but I have to put my .22 cents in.

I started out using the Bombardier fully synthetic oil and I really do like the oil, but I found an oil that I liked better. I have used Mobil 1 fully synthetic on EVERYTHING I own. From my DS to my vehicles. From my lawnmower to my pressure washer. That is all I used and I have never had a bit of trouble. As a matter of fact, I had a Toyota truck that I bought a while ago. When I first bought it there were 120,000 miles and it ran like crap. I completely rebuilt the engine to factory specs and began using Mobil 1 from the start. The truck has 298,000 miles on it now. I pulled the valves at 296,000 miles while I had the head off for a gasket change. The head looked at beautiful as it did the day I put it together. The engine was so lubricated that I pulled the valves out with my fingers!!!!!!! I changed the oil every 3,000 miles and the filter every 6,000 miles RELIGOUSLY. So, now that you know my faith in Mobil 1, I looked to them when I got my DS and I found the MX4T, which I know has been mentioned in this thread. I just did a complete engine rebuild on my DS when I got it and that is the oil I went to the first oil change. I will let you know how the engine looks in about 10 years. I hate to ramble, but I really trust Mobil 1 so that is my suggestion.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default oil

Ok i have done a search on this topic but nothing on SEMI synthetic.(mabe i dont do it right) I ran my DS for 194 our and the motor broke so bad that Bombardier send me a new one complete for free . I waited 3 months for it but it was worth the wait. I live in South Africa.So now the new engine i want to treat a bit special.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Do some one else use semi synthetic oil? I use semi synthetic in a 914T rotax in a gyro plane but it does not have a cluth.