CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Visco-Lok Real World Performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 05:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visco-Lok Real World Performance

I think I have finally got my noggin wrapped around the mechanics of Bombardier's Visco-Lok Front diff.

My question is to those who have machines with this device. How well does it end up working "in the real world" Any problems or undesirable operation? Does it work as well as a conventional locking front diff? The Bombardier promo video showed a bit of a lag between slip and the tire with traction moving but it could have just been the video speed. How it actually performs is going to be one of those things you can't really tell doing a dealer test ride across the parking lot. (a real gripe with me I won't get into at the moment) Have there been any sorts of failures or known problems with these units?

Just trying to gather info. I'm thinking a new Bomber Outlander 800 may very well end up in my garage this fall or winter. I've never even seriously considered Bombardier until this ATV came out.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Trailblazer

real world performance on this system has been incredible. The only atv that is even close to it is the polaris 4wd. The downfall of the polaris is the placement of all their components in the front end which make the steering stiffer and the handling worse.

It's a progressive locking system. That whay you dont have to screw aroudn and pull levers or push buttons or worry about having to rock the machine back and forth the get in four wheel drive. The more it spins, the tighter and tighter things get until it's locked. It doesn't take very long for this process to occur. It's pretty amazing and honestly, far superior to the other four wheel drive systems on the market. It's nice when you can take a machine, slap it in four wheel, and drive it one handed all day and not get tired.

Old 06-17-2005, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

I thought the downfall for the Polaris was no downhill engine braking for the front wheels.

Sometimes, having good traction going downhill on a loose surface is more important than having good traction going uphill.

The Outlander system works great !!! I can leave it in 4-wheel drive and always have the right amount of traction without steering issues.