CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

SideWinder DS 520 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SideWinder DS 520 conversion

I don't know about the side winder brand. A 520 chain is plenty strong for a quad. I have converted every sport bike I have ever owned to a 520 chain. If you can buy just the 520 sprockets I would do that. Then I would by a d.i.d chain or an rk that was made for a street bike. Preferably an x-ring chain. I have never broken a 520 chain. I had a gsxr 1100 with 185hp that never broke a chain...

Old 06-25-2005, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

Well cool atvsnatcher. Since you know every thing, I will now do everything according to your recommendations. I'm glad that there is someone on the forum that has all the answers.

Old 06-25-2005, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

i just put on renthal r-1 chain and its working well.

Old 06-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

atvsnatcher. Boy you are just a pompous ***. Coffeeroaster wanted some feed back. I gave him my two cents. I didn't invite your almightiness to come in and smack me. I have plenty of knowledge in both street and dirt. Don't sit there and tell me they aren't comparable, because they are. As far as your experince, sure maybe the 520 didn't hold up to the competition racing you do, that doesn't mean it wont work for rec riding and duning. Maybe you should start your own forum and you can relay all your extensive knowledge and facts to some people that care to listen to the B.S flying out of your pie hole.......

Old 06-26-2005, 05:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

My drag racing friends (doing it for a long time) have been using the ti chain with great results. In this age of information in the drag race world when something better hits we will hear about it quick and so far nothing yet (we are listening real hard 2) cuz we dont like to break um. So till then for drag, sidewinder ti is the strongest with less rotating weight. Just my 20 cents[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2005, 06:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hightower
yeah its good chain, yes it is stronger, but it does stretch contrary to claims and needs adjusted from time to time just like all the others, therefore it cannot and will not last forever.

the HP gains are not that extreme, you shed more weight off rotation turning hubs lighter and switching to an aluminum sprocket and even that doesn't give you 4 HP. now doing all the above - chain conversion, hubs, alum sprocket, and also going with non-o-ring chain for less friction and drag, and maybe you're getting into some more real #'s. all are worthwhile and every little bit does indeed count.

but you will also get into faster wear on the front sprocket - the 520 chain is narrower than the 530, this is the only diference in measurement, the pitch is the same. the narrower sprockets will naturally wear faster than the thicker ones. and when they wear you are at the mercy of Sidewinder for another, high dollar every time, and unavailable from most bike shops that you could otherwise go to on a trip somewhere if the need arrises, like if you're getting beat on Sand Mt. due to wrong gearing you can't just run an hour up the road to Rocky Mt. ATV for another tooth count.

IMO for a drag bike where every little bit counts its something to do, but for an all around bike praticality and longevity get my vote.
All great points Hightower!!!

Old 06-27-2005, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the feedback.... I think I'll wait 'til I'm due for a new sprocket, which probably won't be long... If the results were amazing I would order it today but I havent heard anyone even notice a positive gain or at least one that was noticable.

Roaster

Old 06-27-2005, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

Didn't want to say it but[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Trailblazer

Oooooo-Go Ahead.......... I'll say it for you.... I TOLD U SO!!! LOL lets go ride JMAC!

Old 06-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Not really on subject but I almost forgot!!! I broke a brand new stock 530 chain a couple years back and it took out my case also[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] cost me $1800 to get all repaired. Another reason I buy a good chain asap

Quick Reply: SideWinder DS 520 conversion