CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

.44 Magnum....

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 04:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .44 Magnum....

I bet some of you think I'm nut's...lol. There are several reason's I've decided on a .44 Magnum.
We do alot of riding very close to the Mexican border. We've come across illegal's on several occasions, and one of these groups was armed. I think that particular group was smuggeling more than just people.
We also did alot of riding, fishing, etc, in the mountain ranges in AZ, and there are some pretty decent sized black bear. I'm sure my .45 would do the trick after several rounds, but I'd like something with more stopping power.
I haven't seen this mentioned on this site yet, but there were some truck's, and toy haulers, stolen at gun point at the Buttercup area in the Imperial Dunes. They were then driven across the border into Mexico, which is very close to that area.
Now that my wife is getting back into riding, I want her to carry the .45, as she's comfortable with it. Now mind you, we wouldn't be carrying on all our rides, just the ones with possibilities.
I'm a bigger guy, and not intimidated by a .44 Magnum. The S&W I'm interested in, is just as comfortable as my .45. I'm no Special Forces expert, but have had alot of experience with firearm's, hunting, etc. I've been thru N.R.A. training, and will be getting my CCW shortly after getting this handgun. I would like to try carrying in a shoulder holster, if it's compatible with my pack.
This firearm is not going to be used in home defense, as I'd be to concerned with over penetration....lol...that's a 1st!!! Seriously, I don't want to kill any loved one's, or even the neighbor I'm not so fond of. I have a 12 gauge for anyone interested in coming in uninvited.

JMAC650, pic #19 is sweet!!!! I found a 500 with a 4" ported barrel.
http://www.tkcustom.com/sw500x4.htm
Even with the porting that monster has got to be spooky to fire!!!

Prozack, I've never ridden in Prescott. Is it worth the drive from Tucson? What is the elevation?
Thanks for all the feed back, and question's guy's!!!
J.

Old 06-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default .44 Magnum....

Freakneh,
Dont bother going up to Prescott for ridding, but do go up there with some cash and visit J&G Sales!!! Love that place! They get tons of old military surplus thats cheep and fun to shoot! They are on the web too...

Back to the subject at hand ... A 44 vs a bear?? I would feel better if I was shooting my 30-06 steel core ammo. A 45 or 44 for that matter isnt going to take down a charging bear, It will scare them off if your lucky. Pulling a gun in a high stress / panic situation isnt something many people get to experience ( nor would ever want to ). But if it ever did happen I too would rather have a slim chance rather than none.

If your ridding your quad and the Mexican Banditios want you and your wife , they wont stop you and ask please. Criminals are opportunistic and have the upper hand 90% of the time. Short of ridding around with your gun in your hand ready to shoot, they will have the advantage, they also can hear you ridding around while you cannot hear them. Having said that, High capacity and the ability to swap out mags in a jiffy is critical. Have you ever tried to speed load a single shot revolver? Most fire fights are very short in duration unlike the shootout seen in LA a few years back. Something to ponder.

If your not at your camp and somebody else is , all the firepower is useless. When camping I try not to leave ANY weapon there just in case of theft. Think of this, you come back from a ride and some A-hole is going through your truck/camper/tent and finds your/a gun ... now the guys got something to shoot YOU with... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]. not good.
If your at camp .. shot gun. close range very effective, less chance of killing someone else in the next camp by error. Unless your shooting slugs or exotic rounds. Bolo rounds, steel dart loads, flame loads, etc..

All in all it sounds like your looking more for defense rather than hunting, target shooting, or collecting. If that is the case then a single action revolver is not what you want.
Did you know the best defense round is the 9mm? studies have shown it and that is also something you should be made aware of in your CCW class when you go. The 45 packs more punch but you loose the capacity and some accuracy.

Get the 44 and use it for fun and an investment. guns keep their value. Get a 9mm or 45 for personal protection, and above all TAKE CLASSES! Im not talking about NRA or some of the basics intro to gun classes. Make sure you get your CCW even if you decide not carry on a daily basis. There are sooooo many ( serious issues) things to think about when making a decision about using a gun for protection. Its also important to stay proficient!!

I hope you dont think Im trying to preach to ya ... just tring to bring up some valid points.
JP

Old 06-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default .44 Magnum....

I own a .44 Ruger Vaquero(single action) and although it is a great pistol there is no way I would try and carry that thing on a ride. I recently purchased a new Ruger P345 and love it, this thing is way smaller than the old P90 and to me atleast still feels comfortable in my larger than average hands. And if you buy another .45 you and the wife can share ammo, just a thought.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default .44 Magnum....

Prozack, I appreciate, and respect your opinion. Everything you said made sense!!!
The 629 is actually double action. I agree that an auto is much faster to load, etc. The main reason I decided to go with a revolver is the fact it's going to get beat up, dirty, etc. Becasue of this, I figured the simpler the better.
I've read that alot of people actually hunt bear with the .44 mag. That's the reason I was leaning towards that caliber. I've had a few run in's with bear...once while fishing on the Black River in the White Mountains, and once while in a tent on Mt Lemmon. The Mt Lemmon experience really freaked my wife out.
It's funny, for as loud as my DS is, we've caught alot of folk's out in the open. The last time, my buddy almost ran a couple down when he came up over a hill on his KFX.
As far as "banditos" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] are concerned, I just want to have some sort leverage. Generally, the ones we see are not really a threat.
I like the idea of getting it for fun, etc. I was actually considering picking up an AR-15, or an M-14, but after finding out what people want for a good unit, I'll have to wait awhile!!!
Thanks again, and I'll check that site out!!!
J.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default .44 Magnum....

Thanks MongoDS, with the price of ammo, another .45 would be good. I was actually considering a .40 before I decided on the .44.
J.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Range Rover
Default .44 Magnum....

I could make you a hell of a deal on a new Super RedHawk in 480. It is at the Gun shop I work at part time, nothing wrong . . . just been there a while :-) Then again it is a bit longer than what you are after. Also look at the Taurus .44 4" with ported barrel, it does not kick near as bad as many.

SLG

Old 06-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default .44 Magnum....

Freakneh, if you were considering a M-4 (AR-15), and the price deterred you, then look at a MAK 90. It is an AK 47 knock off. You can get 40 round banana clips or drums, so you wont need to worry about changing mags. Plus its the great 7.62 round which has ALLLLL kind of options, from armor piercing, incindiary, etc.... It can be relatively short with a few options too so no hassle to carry. A lot more accurate than a pistol too. Hell, you get that and get your wife the Dragunov sniper rifle and you're all set for a Mexican dinner.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default .44 Magnum....

I have to agree with lowrecoil. I have a MAK 90 and it's a great, inexpensive weapon. the 7.62 x 39 ammo is very similar to that of a 30:06 at 100 yards which is plenty of power. It is very reliable which is why the original AK is was so popular and so long lived. Another option which is versitile, but more expensive is an Uzi. I also have one of these and they too are great. With the built in stock that folds out when you need it. It can also be equiped with drum magazines for high capacity. And since it fires 9mm ammo it's cheaper to fire than the 7.62x39 caliber and still great for relatively short range firing.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default .44 Magnum....

That is some crazy talk. Mak 90, uzi. Thats not practical to keep concealed. And an uzi vs bear? I'll take a pizzed off bear over an uzi. I have a mac 90. Great gun for what its intended for. And can be deacked out cheep. But to take along for an atv ride?A 44 or 357 snubby with an under arm holser would be fine. A hammerless gun would be good as well, but make sure it has a hammer guard so if its hit the round wont go off. But is you could get two hand guns a glock would be great. It can be droped in the sand like an ak and still function, while taking moderate abuse also. For the bear run a goss 454 casull will take it down right NOW. A much bigger and heavier gun though. But if you have a big hand it'll feal real good to you. Do you have a range were you can rent guns to get you feel of what you want? There is an indo range near me that will rent you a gun for like $5, but you have to by their ammo. It is a good way to see if a piticulr gun will fill you NEEDS!!

Old 06-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default .44 Magnum....

"....get your wife the Dragunov sniper rifle and you're all set for a Mexican dinner." By far some of the funniest **** I've read on this site!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I think my riding buddies would probably never show up for another ride if I came packing an AK-47... I'll definately check one out just for the fun factor!
I've alway's been a fan of the 7.62. I have a buddy who just came back from Iraq.... said the troops are going back to the .45 cal as a side arm, and are upping to something bigger than the .223
J.