CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

.44 Magnum....

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .44 Magnum....

Hey guy's, I'm thinking of buying a .44 Magnum, and have narrowed the search to a S&W "Mountain Gun". It's a lightened 629 model, with a 4" barrel. Does anyone here have any experience with this model, or any others for that matter? I'm going to be carrying this while I'm riding, camping, etc, so a model with a 10" barrel is out of the question.
Thanks for any feed back.
J.

Old 06-27-2005, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default .44 Magnum....

When it comes to revolvers, I like single action rugers.

Old 06-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default .44 Magnum....

I like Rugers too. I have a model P90 in .45 ACP, that I've had for years. I'm leaning towards the S&W because it's lightened, and has a 4" barrel. I couldn't find a Ruger with this combo. Is there a reason you prefer a single action?

Old 06-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default .44 Magnum....

Originally posted by: Freakneh
I'm going to be carrying this while I'm riding...
Remind me not to race you!

Old 06-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default .44 Magnum....

Any reason you are lookin at .44 and not another caliber? What is the intended purpose and then I can help you narrow down the caliber and make. It also depends on your hand size and skill level too.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default .44 Magnum....

STEP UP [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Checkout picture #19 on my page.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default .44 Magnum....

Whats the recoil on that 500 like. the 454 casull is terrible. Like lowrecoil asked, why a 44? Taurus has a ti fram 357. I think mine has a 2in. barrel.Light weight and packs a punch! What kind of holster do you plan on using? 44 is alot for self defence.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default .44 Magnum....

Colt, Ruger, S&W, Taurus, EAA and other all make a good 44 cal hand cannon. I ask you the same questions as LowRecoil too.

My personal 44 is a Ruger Super Blackhawk with the old beefed up cylinder that you "can" run some hot loads though without being too scared of blowing the thing apart. Its a single action too. its a great gun that was passed on to me from my father back in the day when he used to run mule trains in the mountains back in Montana 30+ years ago. This thing is a handfull. I take it out once every few years to get that sh*t eating grin ya get when shootin that thing. Other than that its not usefull for much else.

But let me see if I can go a step further, If your looking for a side arm for when you go riding , I wouldnt get a "nice" gun to ride with. If you get tossed off and beat up a 500+ pistol ya might be upset. Also, if you happen to crash with a gun that has a hammer that sticks out then you run an extra chance of an enexpected discharge. Not likely , but anything is possible. Stick with a Taurus or EAA for an inexpesive ( neither are junk either ) gun.

Do you ever get up to Prescott ??

Old 06-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default .44 Magnum....

If we ever race ....... you win.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2005, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default .44 Magnum....

Also, how are you going to carry it and do you want it concealed? For example, my favorite pistol in my collection is the HK USP .40 because of many reasons. However, it is a large pistol so if I don't want people to notice that I'm carrying (yes, I have a carry permit), then I use my Glock 26 9mm which is very small and doesnt fit well in my hand but is better than having nothing. A .44 may be overkill and those without alot of practice with that kind of pwer may be more likely to miss their target. For a big bang go with a .50 cal with incendiary rounds, that'll get anyones attention. Seriously, there's alot to consider when getting a gun. You can always be like me and buy a bunch of them, all suited for different occasions. IF you are considering it for protecting your camper/trailer, consider a shotgun. For dune riding or riding far away from your vehicle, you can get a cheap MAK 90 with a pistol grip that costs the same as many pistols and has better accuracy, plus it would look cool strapped to your quad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] You also have to consider what you'll be shooting at as to what kind of ammo to look for, if it is even available for that type of gun. Look at manufacturers charts of ammo tests to see what may be some of the more important characteristics to you. So much info..... just buy em all......