CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Hate to say it but my wife hates her DS......

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hate to say it but my wife hates her DS......

Well , hate to say it but when we were at St. A she was all jazzed up about her new DS until she rode it. I only could drag her out on the dunes two more times in the week we were there.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Funny thing is that she rides a full on hillclimb mod 210 horse snowmobile in the winter time and loves that. When asking her what she did not like about the DS , she said it feels way to top heavy and the over all mass of the quad is another turnoff for her. I put a bar riser on so she could have a normal set of atv bend bars and she did like that. But only that... The dealer swore that a DS would be perfect for her but now I think he was just trying to sale a quad. I love my 05 DS turbo but might be looking at a 06 Crapptor for her to try out. Hate to do that since I spent about $1500 on pretty billit and other stuff for her 04 Baja.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My Wife rides an '03 Craptor and I hate that freekin' thing. Poor head design, carbs. . . need I say more???

She has a bad back so not sure the YFZ is the best choice for a replacement for her. The 450R isn't an option with the kick start. For her and her bad back and riding a lot with the gals without a guy around the DS won't work. If she ever gets it stuck they may never get it out.

The new Craptor may be an option but, I still don't like that engine. Too many weak parts (connecting rod, tranny, one-way) and I just don't like that single overhead cam and rocker-arm set-up. Never really feel like I have the valve lash set just right. . . maybe its just me.

As soon as I can talk her into it her Craptor will be gone and I'll be looking at a new quad for her. Hopefully something new comes out soon and the decision gets a lot easier!

Old 07-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

donal,
If your wife wants something lower and smaller than her DS then a YFZ 450 is about as far in that direction as you can go. I personally would not worry about the suspension being too stiff. There is a lot of adjustment available in even the stock suspension, so she could turn the compression damping clicker full soft and make it ride great. Or for less than the $1500 you spent on her '04 Baja you could pop for a set of Elka dune edition shocks valved just for her weight, and then there would be no excuses.

Good luck, and join the club. It took me a few tries to figure out I had to let my wife choose her own ATV, instead of buying her one that I thought she would like.

DesertViper

Old 07-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Keep in mind the ds is long and wide - so if the DS feels top heavy, I am not sure she will like any ATV available. A 400EX for example is shorter and narrower and will feel seriously tippy coming off of a DS. Perhaps you should try and get her to ride a friend's atv before you buy another. Maybe she'll realize the DS is the least tippy ATV around.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Bought the only thing that turned her on were the ultra $$$$ long travel sand cars that she saw on vacation. That is out of the question, since it would get in too deep into my snowmobile and 4x4 rock clawling budget.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] When I get my TCS Sag option shocks mounted on my DS , I will let her try that out. I think TCS said that the DS would sit around four inches lower than the stock ride.

Old 07-07-2005, 05:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

put her on a rock hard yfz450 for a day, and she'll come running back to the plush comfort of a DS! its a freekin couch on wheels and nothing can compare.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hightower
put her on a rock hard yfz450 for a day, and she'll come running back to the plush comfort of a DS! its a freekin couch on wheels and nothing can compare.

You can say that again...I have both and can definitely vouch for that. GO DS! LOL. But, I will admit, this bike isnt for everybody...so people can't appreciate a good quad.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

Same thing with my wife ... I might be selling both quads and building a long travel 2 seater here in the next few months. If they wont ride em then whay have em.

Besides , a friend of mine told me ..with age comes the cage!!! how true..

Old 07-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

I think it was already said, but let her try lots of different quads. Then get her the one she wants - it will be cheaper in the end ... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Having a wife that supports your dune fix is priceless.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Don, Sorry to hear she's having trouble getting used to it. I think Hightower is right put her on a yfz for a day she will come back to the ds. Speaking of couches how is your turbo powered couch running. Last time we talked you were having trouble. Did Kelly get it straightened out and did you get your swingarm on yet. I was going to give you a call to see if your going up to Winchester for sandfest but I cant find your number. PM it to me or give me a call when you get a chance. Im trying to get my bike ready Im waiting on parts from HPR. 730 big bore 13:1, Lectron 48 dual power jet, Race ported intake. When I get it done Im going to break it in at sheepy ridge. Keith

Quick Reply: Hate to say it but my wife hates her DS......