CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Breakin the Chain

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breakin the Chain

I cant find any sort of master link on my chain, whats the trick? I just pulled the motor to install the 730 kit and had A b!tch of a time getting the chain off. Ended up loosening up the chain via the carrier and removing the motor mount bolts to get it off. Unfortunatley I dont have an impact wrench which really made it tough to get the motor mount bolts out. Im going to order an ACE swingarm + 4 So I need to get this off. How long of a chain do I need for the new swing arm? I also need a longer brake line.

Old 07-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

I believe the DS chain does not have a master link, good for strength but bad for ease of removal. For simple engine removal, loosen the chain by doing a normal chain adjustment with axle carrier. Then simply slide off the counter sprocket with the chain still on it. On previous engines I have worked on you could simply loosen the chain, pull it away from the counter sprocket and rotate the chain, this would cause it to jump off the counter sprocket. While I tried this on the DS my finger got stuck and the counter sprocket and chain tried to eat the tip of my finger, nothing but a few stitches and a shattered bone.

I don't know how you got those motor mounts loose without and impact, the factory put those on crazy tight, those and the axle hub nuts.

As far as a chain, I don't know how many links you will need, but I would just get a whole new chain, not just add links to your old one. I got my brake lines off ebay a long while ago, they work good and the price was right.

Old 07-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Depending on the sprockets that you will be running. I would go ahead and order a 130 link chain with a couple of master. Also a very handy tool is the chain breaker. They are not that expensive and will save you a few choice words....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

Im going to go a find a chain breaker. So a 130 link will fit a +4 Swing arm. Im going to run 22' ten paddle extremes and drop to a 15 tooth front. Man your not kidding "crazy tight" is an understatement. I got it done with a breaker bar. Im going to put it back together with Blue lock tight. or do you think I should use the red. I really dont want to go through that again. Is it hard to change out the carrier to the new swing arm? I figured I might as well do everything at once since I have all tore apart anyway.

Old 07-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

By the way what the proceedure for getting the front sprocket off. Looks like you need an impact tool. Is it still counter clock wise to get it off and do you put it in gear or somehow block up the sprocket. Seems like you might damage the tranny if you leave it in gear. Sorry for the stupid questions but this is my first go at this. Been workin on old chevy's my whole life not quads

Old 07-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

First you have to bend back the lock washer tabs that fold up the sides of the sprocket nut. With the chain still on and with normal slack in the chain you can use the rear brake to hold the sprocket inplace. First time I changed mine before I had my impact wrench, I was standing on my breaker bar and could not get it to budge!

What cams are you going to run in the 730? With the 730 you may not need to drop to a 16 tooth sprocket, even with the 22" paddles. Also depends on the # of paddles. In theory, with the +4 swing arm there will be less weight on the rear wheels so they will spin easier (less motor lug).

Old 07-12-2005, 05:25 AM
Pro Rider

Im staying with the stock cams right now. Ive already spent over $3000 now. Im going to wait awhile and see how it runs. Its another 800 just for the cam kit from HPR. I could go with the webs but I want to keep it all from the same manufacturer in case theres a problem. Randall has treated me really well. Im going to try the stock sprocket first. Donal said he would let me try his 10 paddle 22" extremes and see how it does. I ordered the swingarm today hopefully I get everything by the end of the week. Im cutting it real close to make dune fest. To bad your not going to make it up there.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:30 AM
Pro Rider

$800 for cams? I assume they are including the shim under spring kit with that quote.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, springs and all. What cams are you running? I dont really know what to go with yet. I kinda have to heal up the bank account before I start on another project. Would have been nice to get it all at once.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

HPR 3 cams, they are an all around cam, fairly mild, not the best if drag racing is your thing.