CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS650 Dual Exhaust

Does anyone know if you can get Dual Exhaust for the DS? Ive seen it once in a pic on here. I was wondering if you could give me a website or a place where i can find dual pipes for it. Thanks

Old 07-12-2005, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

LTE racing

Old 07-12-2005, 01:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks

Old 07-12-2005, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

Anth0209,

One of the reasons why this topic doesnt come up that much here is because a lot of folks in here are not as concerned about DB levels as max HP. For those that dune ride, I know if no other exhaust system that produces as much HP gain while keeping the DB level at or below 98DB. A lot of folks are concerned about the the dual exhaust mufflers being mounted on the inside of the subframe. What those people dont understand is that if the pipes were mounted on the outside, a new airbox and battery relocating kit would have to be included. This was done with the LTE dual exhaust for the 400EX and proved to be too expensive for most people. The reason why people want the pipes move to the outside is to keep the stock airbox and airtube instead of having to direct mount the air filter. There are people here that have dynoed the LTE with an airtube attached for tested purposes and found a 2hp gain. But I have heard of a dealer in Washington state that dynoed and only found a 1/2 hp gain. In either case, I believe the existing configuration provides the highest HP gain at 98db or less over other available exhaust systems. Its possible that a 1/2 to 2 hp additional gain might be possible with a stock airtube, I have my doubts that most people would opt for the $120 in additional costs to make that solution work.

I was at Sand Mountain over Memorial day and did see quite a few DS650's equiped with dual LTEs. All of them were built and much, much stronger than stock. Certainly there are better pipes out there that produce more HP. And if you live in a location where DB levels are of no concern, there are better choices out there than the LTE from a HP perspective.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

I read a article on LTE in DWM, and they had nothing good to say about them. It seemed that LTE didn't dyno their early models, which made for loss of power on the DWM quad they tested it on. That, and a very complicated install made for a thumbs down impression.

however, I have seen where they have started to dyno their SH#T, and now maybe better??? I know they don't advertise in DWM anymore[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

learnem,

The article in DWM was bogus. The article was a "follow up" to an exhaust shoot out that had taken place months before because they didnt have the LTE to test. The follow up article didnt even have a true head to head test between the other pipes. All DWM did was "feel" the power difference between LTE and their memory of the other pipes they tested. They also tested the DB level by the ear, instead of even a DB meter and the USFS method. Because of that, I dont think DWM is credible on a lot of these tests and certainly not with this one. Several other publications came out and reviewed the LTE and found them exactly as advertised. I think you'll find this is one of those rifts between dirt riders and dune riders. Dirt riders love aftermarket exhausts that are half the weight of stock and dont care a darn about DB levels. While many dune riders (not everyone) do care about HP, but also need it to be at or below 98db and will settle for an exhaust thats equal to or less than the weight of the stock exhaust. Dirt wheels is a little shy on brainpower when it comes to what many dune riders want, and even more shy when it comes to measuring DB levels. Clearly they are only experts on MX.

As far as dynoing - LTE has always provided dyno sheets. They usually do upgrade the air intake filter along with the exhaust and then dyno the difference in HP to a stock quad. So, you have to be aware of that when you look at the dyno sheets. On the YFZ, they also did the exhaust cam mod as well. LTE is trying to also satisfy the MX guys, so I think you'll see a new single pipe for them shortly.

As always, which exhaust you choose boils down to application.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks alot now im sure ill just leave my HMF on.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Anth0209
Thanks alot now im sure ill just leave my HMF on.

If you dont care about noise levels, the HMF is a good exhaust.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

I dont run the LTE on my DS. however, I do have them on my YFZ. initially I had some issues with the head flange bolts loosing. and sealing between the head pipe and mid pipe. now that those issues are resolved I could not be happier. I recently made a trip to florence with freinds of mine that had two diferent yfz's. they where setup the same as me. except for the pipes. they had single pipes. during the day they were racing each other several times. they were pretty equal. I never raced them because I weigh like 80 to 100 lbs more than both of them. I did not think I would have a chance. close to the end of the day. we all took off heading for the parking lot. I was able to leave both of them behind on the flats. I thought that they were just taking there time. but, they both confirmed on our trip home that I was walking away from them. we tride to figure out why. the only difference was the lte pipes. they had same jetting, one had the same extreme haulers that I had. the other guy had Itp sand stars. I did have the quiet cores out. and they are pretty loud like that. but man it really comes to life with the cores out. its going to be hard to put them back in. for now, I will just keep them with me. just incase the DB police are prowling around. anyway, LTE's are pretty decent pipes. they look good,preform good. just be prepared to spend the extra $ for them. and the extra time for installing them.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

Ron, check your email.

Quick Reply: DS650 Dual Exhaust