CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Question on sprag clutch install ??????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on sparg clutch install ??????????

I installed my new gears today and sprag clutch. I hit the start button while the side cover was off and the bike turned over fine. I then went and put the side cover on and the exhaust back on. When I tried to start the bike it just made a sound like the starter was turning but the bike was not turning over. It also was making a clicking sound from the rear every time I tried to start it. I hate to have to tear down the bike again. I took the starter off and put the bike in gear and pushed the bike foward and the gear that the starter rides on did turn. Any idea what the heck is going on here. Thanks, D

Old 07-13-2005, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

haha... I had the same problem.... I took my side cover back off, and found I had put the small washer over the wrong gear shaft. having the washer in the wrong spot made it so when I tightened the case down it put pressure on the gear, and the starter couldnt overpower it.

I hope this is your problem and nothing more, but since it is an easy mistake I would bet this is what you did. (I even glanced at the print-out from my cd, and still put the washer in the same spot).

Let me know what you find.

Old 07-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

I figured it out. My battery went dead that was the problem. The only thing I cant figure now is I found three small shims on the garage floor and Im wondering where they go. Something tells me behind one of the gear wheels. Im thinking of saying the helll with it as I hate to break the side case back off.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Question on sprag clutch install ??????????

the case is a *** to get off, especially if the headers are back on. Those are probable the spacing shims for the gears. I am not sure the affects of not putting them back in, so I wont comment as to what could happen (hopefully nothing).