CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Help, Loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 02:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Loss of power

Hi, Since my crash in May my bike has not been the same, I lost about 10mph on top end and seams gutless. The bike took a real hard hit in the front end (bumper) and the handle bars took a good hit in to a hard sand hill at 50mph+. I've searched the forum high and low trying out lots of suggestions from past topics, but still nothing. My oil and coolent levels are good, cleaned carb and air filter, tightened head pipe bolts, tightened all clamps on air intake system, repact the pipe (lost a little bit overtime), I've played around with jetting and the needle. The bike runs good, but earilier today it did sputter a bit at wide open throttle when I was testing it with my GPS, which is farily accurate and got 68mph. I was getting 77mph before, gearing and tires have stayed the same. Any help will be greatly apperciated, because this was the fastest bike in my area, mostly TRXs and Ds's, (there are mostly just piped and k&n air filters)

My bike has:
-2005 DSX 650
-stock bore
-Mr. HP endcap
-K&N air filter with outerware
-Stock carb (I have a dynojet kit, I've tried a 180-195 and the 175 jet that Eric sent me with my endcap, I've also tried Dynojet needle and the stock one at different clip pistions).
-UMI regulator (my stock one went, and I needed one for a trip and it was all I could get, at the time).
-22' inchbear claws and stock gearing, ( I don't think that one matters, but now you know)

I know there are a lot of these topics, but this is really getting me mad, Its just over a year old, regular matince was done, so why could this happen? Thanks.

BackandBlack

Old 07-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

Have you checked your float bowl height?

Whenever I have jetting inconsistancy or lack of top end power, I recheck my float height.
When the float gets too high I find jetting rich and power lost.

I find more jetting consistancy running the float on the lowend of spec.

With carb removed from motor, bottom removed and carb held upside down:
I like the float to be parallel with bottom base of carb. Or just alittle past, bent towards carb.

Remove and check your height, if way past level this could be your problem.

Old 07-20-2005, 03:49 AM
Pro Rider

This might be a far shot, but also check the packing in your exhaust.

With the hard shock, what was there migt have moved and is causing a problem. Check it out. I have seen DS's with the guys complaining about unexplained power loss. After opening the pipe to find very little packing material and repacking the exhaust, power levels returned to normal.

Old 07-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Did you have the Bear Claws on when you ran 77mph? If not. Then that could easily be the 10 mph dif.