CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

need help ! ups damaged a motor i shipped !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 12:30 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with shipping insurance on a shipped motor

hey guys,
i shipped a motor and tranny and i insured it for $1200. when he got it the bottom of the crate was badly damaged and a cpl holes was jabbed in it! the side of the motor that was down was damaged. the clutch caseing has a big crack in it and the water pump cover has one of the nipples broke off. do i need to call the 1 800 number? the crate had never been outside .it had always been in the closet .will they give me a hard time about it? we didnt think to take a pic before we sent it.a lesson learned. i have never had anything broken before.so this is all new to me and im mad as h..l! thanks james

Old 07-21-2005, 03:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default need help ! ups damaged a motor i shipped !!

If you paid for insurance then you should be good. just take pics of the obvious damage to the crate / carton, and keep in mind the most you'll get is the $1200 you insured it for.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:52 AM
Pro Rider

Take it to where ever you shipped it from and do it quick theres a time limit on claims. The shipping place will file a claim for you. You could call the 800# but good luck it took me 20 min of automated phone system $h!t to get a real person today. Go to UPS website there is claim info on there also. Good luck

Old 07-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

Most important thing to do is first file the claim immediately, 2nd, Do not throw any packaging materials away. Place the motor back in the package just as it came to you, and take pictures. You can expect a free lesson on how you should package your items from UPS, but if its insured, within a month or so, you will get your money back. If you toss any of the packaging, they will not do anything for you.

Just my 2 cents. Ive had similar nightmares with ups.

Gary

Old 07-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

I also hoped you pointed out the damaged to the crate upon delivery if it was obvious to the driver?

Old 07-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DStroyer
Most important thing to do is first file the claim immediately, 2nd, Do not throw any packaging materials away. Place the motor back in the package just as it came to you, and take pictures. You can expect a free lesson on how you should package your items from UPS, but if its insured, within a month or so, you will get your money back. If you toss any of the packaging, they will not do anything for you.

Just my 2 cents. Ive had similar nightmares with ups.

Gary
He's right the simple peanuts and bubble pack condition is critical in making a claim, they want to see it all! If all that was used is old newspaper then it will be difficult to get them to pay out anything.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

I used to work for UPS as a computer tech.

I would do claims on damaged shipped computers too.

Definiately do not throw anything away.

I hope you shipped it through a UPS customer counter so you can claim that they observed your package on shipping.

Otherwise there are rules about how many inches around for bubble wrap to protect stuff.

Old 07-21-2005, 06:13 PM
Range Rover

hey guys,
i called the # of the ups station that i shipped from and the took the info and someone called me back.
first they wanted his phone # and address and they said that they would send out a inspector friday! but then they called him and changed it, they are now ..ups ,are getting the package and shipping it back to georgia for the inspection.? the driver told him about the damage to the crate when he brought it! i wouldn't have excepted it,but who know in that situation . as far as the packing it was good, looks like from the pics that they dropped it and also jabbed it with the forks on a fork lift. their was some packing stuff.. dont know the name,but its like 4" squares of air filled packing. that was on the bottom with 5 rolls of bubble packing.9 feet long each!!i double up a roll pf bubble packing and put it on the bottom to. then wrapped 4 rolls of bubble packing around and around the motor!!!!!!!!!! they were just ridiculous in the way they shipped it. it is insured for $1200 .will they fix what they broke and re-ship or what?? or at least pay for the new parts?what if they messed something up on the inside?! thanks james

Old 07-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Mean650,

This is a really good post and I'm glad you made it. Im sure you did everything right, but its good for those that are shipping motors to know what to do. Newspaper wont hold up a DS motor thats for sure. I would think a dense foam would work better, but at least dense bubble wrap about 3 inches deep, all the way around between the crate and the motor. I've had people send motors in those large tupperware containers and bolt down the lid with nuts, bolts and washers. Put extra cardboard inside between the motor and the bubble wrap.

Like you did, insure everything. I too have had a few claims, but they have been because of "lost" shipments. Either the neighbors got it, or someone else. That sucks for everyone because it takes time to process a claim. I've had a brand new cell phone shipped to my box at the UPS store and the UPS store lost it. I couldnt make a claim with UPS because it was signed for by the UPS store. I couldnt make a "phone loss claim" with my cell carrier because it wasnt activated yet. The UPS store ended up writing me a check for a new phone. It never did turn up -