CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Procom CDI BOX Update.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procom CDI BOX Update.

Hey Guys. I thought I would post the outcome I had with my Procom CDI box.
Originally the first box I purchased was about 10 months ago. My bike would sometimes start up and back fire. Over time it would do it on almost every ride. Finally it ended up bending a gear and taking out my sprag clutch. After spending over $500.00 for repairs(which I did myself) I ended up putting the stock CDI box back in my 2004 DS 650 Baja. I wrote a letter to Jennifer at Procom and told her about my problem with their box. She told me she would send me a replacement as they had made changes to the their boxes since the last time I bought mine. I was a little hesitant to try another Procom box in my quad as I did not want to damage the motor a second time. Anyway, I received the replacement box from Procom and tried it. So far after starting the bike 50 times or more it has not had a problem. Not one back fire and the bike runs great. I guess they have corrected the problem after so many people have encountered damage to their engines. I encourage everyone that has a bad box to send theirs back for a replacement. Dont worry if the box makes my Quad backfire just one time its coming out. Thanks to all who took the time out to get involved and send emails to Jennifer at Procom. Happy Trails, D

Old 07-31-2005, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

procomm sucks why do it to yourself.. there are many better choices!

Old 07-31-2005, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

Your right but it works now. Don't have the extra money to put out as of yet. If you have $338.00 dollars to donate to my cause I would be glad to purchase the Ron Woods box tomorrow. Let me know I will send you my paypal address to send your donation. Thanks, D

Old 07-31-2005, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

the thing got you 500 in repairs, so your 500 plus the crap procomm in the hole..

learn the lession, run the stock cdi--sell it on ebay to some other person!

it will burn up and cost you headaches and money, it happens to almost everyone

Old 08-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Chris. I eventually plan on getting a Ron wods CDI. I agree that it does suck that Procom sold me something that ended up costing me $500.00 in repairs. When the Procom CDI comes off the bike it will go in the trash. I would be just as guilty to sell it to someone else on ebay. Later, D

Old 08-02-2005, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

i ment why run it, take it off before it happens again....they have a bad history of burning up, dont let procom get you twice

i would wait till you can get the one you want...

have you searched procom cdi's on the forum. 95% have had problems and alot with multiple fries!

Old 08-02-2005, 03:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm not sure I'd badmouth the Procomm CDI, and then go replace it with the RWR box, a unit which has it's own problems. I've known people who lost a LOT more than $500 worth of parts with a RWR box, not because of unit failure, but that poor design of no rev limiter. There are situations that can happen where your machine could rev out of control with no load on the wheels and you will be wishing you only had a $500 repair bill. I think if you want a premium box, the RWR isn't the way to go. By the way, there are selling used all over, just look for the guys who are upgrading to the Vortex or MSD (in some applications.) No, the RWR isn't a bad box, it has it's place, but there certainly are better units available.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

i agree, i also think that the vortex is the better choice of the group but thats just opinion

i think for practical everyday riding you should definetly have a rev limiter..in case you flip or crash and the gas gets pinned open..

Old 08-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Mrneg9
Hey Chris. I eventually plan on getting a Ron wods CDI. I agree that it does suck that Procom sold me something that ended up costing me $500.00 in repairs. When the Procom CDI comes off the bike it will go in the trash. I would be just as guilty to sell it to someone else on ebay. Later, D

Mrneg9: I received an e-mail from Jennifer @ Procom. She told me to mail the unit back for a refund. I have the original receipt from the package they sent me with the CDI unit. I'll PM everyone who PM'd me with the e-mail Jennifer sent me. I'm not sure I'm setting a precedence here, but most if they have their documentation should receive a refund. Esp. considering the fact that the timing is too advanced (or some other issue) to cause the "LOUD" clanking sound when the machine stalls.