CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

symptoms of my broken 04X

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default symptoms of my broken 04X

first--last year when i brought it home----bulb blew first ride
then it wouldnt start after the first wk of riding if i didnt use it everyday...press start button it would click-click

now.. after not riding for a month or so--- totally dead, i jumped it with cables and it would only run with the cables on it
from there it would idle but coulnt touch the gas or it would stall....so i turn the headlights on and BAM it runs fine, but if it stall it wont start.

this is what i have so far:

get new battery and replace the regulator.....

is there anything else i should do and would these 2 things cause these problems from the first day i bought it

also some one said the cdi but i have no connection on how this would do this...

oh ya i am not so mechanically inclined... i can replace things----- i think--- as long as they are not in the motor

Old 08-03-2005, 12:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

it does indeed sound as though the voltage regulator is bad. the symptoms you describe about the not running without lights on and stuff go along with that guess. it quite possibly took out the battery too.
It would be nice if you had a buddy with a DS, or a nice dealer, that would swap you for a moment to see if that cures your issue, before you buy one.

it is very unfortunate that it didn't all come together sooner while still under warranty.
Try e-bay, I have seen regulators and other elec parts go for cheap on there from stripped down salvage bikes.
I recently bought a pair of coils for $20.

In your case, if the regulator solves the issue, it is just one of those things that sucks, but you know what they say, **** happens.
The YFZ's on the other hand had a problem with the design of the regulator the first year from what I am told, which is why you will see so many of them always riding with their lights on.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

chirochris, I responded on your other thread about the problems your experiencing. I went thru the same thing, and it turned out to be my CDI. Per Scooby's suggestion, I went with a CDI off of a F/I BMW 650. It was an easy swap, and fixed the issue. Do a search, and you'll find alot of info on CDI problems. The CDI from BMW was actually cheaper than the Bomb unit. If you decide to go this route, and need any help, PM me.
Justin

Old 08-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

ok everyone is saying

rectifier
regulater
cdi
battery

whats what and who is who! regulater? rectifier? same or different?

how do i find out which one it is

Old 08-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

freakneh,

was it a cdi or regulater off the bmw

or is that the same thing!

Old 08-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

Chrio,

Jed (650Viper) has an extra voltage regulator - I gave him an extra one when he purchased my DS - he might want to sell it. The VR is not the CDI. The VR is located under the seat towards the rear of the quad. is about twice as big as the CDI, its black, and has cooling fins on it. Its main purpose in life is to regulate power and maintain a constant level of amperage to your DS. Thats why your headlights dont go dim when you throttle down. And also why they dont burn up if when you accelerate.

The 2000 model had this problem when people started getting the higher rev CDI. In later models they improved the VR to nix the problems it had.

Broken fillaments on the rear tailight are not always a symptom of a VR problem. The noise and vibration of your exhaust can also break the fillament in the tail light. This is why some convert over to the LED rear tail light. I simply replaced my whole fixture with a banshee fixture and added a few more lights for breaks.

Old 08-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

is there any way to test these 4 things that it could be without replacing each one...

how could the cdi be part of the problem...

i am getting a new battery and a regulater for now and take it
from there i guess!