CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Easy Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy Oil Changes

If you've changed your oil on your DS you know what a mess it can make. Following the manual's instruction not only makes a mess but it also leaves some dirty oil in the supply line eveytime.
This is the fastest, cleanest and best way I have found to change the oil on my 2000 DS.

Get yourself one of those "Fram Sure Drains" and a find a steel nut to match. I got my Fram @ AutoZone.
The Fram Sure Drains come in different thread sizes because they are designed for auto oil pans. It doesn't matter which thread size you get but you'll need a steel nut to match.

Remove the supply line from the oil tank to the engine. The steel tube (part of the oil supply line) that runs under the radiator is what your after. (Caution note - It's a really good idea to drain the oil before you remove the line)
Drill a small hole in the low point of the tube. The hole should be about the same size as the hole in the nut that will fit on the Fram Drain.
I actually bought an extra steel tube from my dealer to avoid down time. I also wanted to see if threading the tube was possible but the wall thickness is too thin.
Anyway, make sure that the hole you drill isn't too large. Use your nut (the steel one) as reference.

After drilling a hole in the low point of the tube you weld the nut over the hole and that's it. You can pressure test it before reinstalling. You shouldn't have a leaking problem if you do a good job in welding or have a Pro do it for you. I painted mine red. See photo #6.
Now when I change oil I don't have to remove the supply hose going into the engine. I simply unscrew the Sure Drain dust cap, install the drain hose provided with the Fram kit and the oil drains out of the tank.
I still have to remove the plug under the engine and of course change filters but the Fram Sure Drain makes sure the task cleaner and easier.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Easy Oil Changes

I just use one of these....Drain Valve

Although the information you provided is innovative to say the least....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Easy Oil Changes

By the way...who did such a great job on your custom paint?

Old 08-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Range Rover
Default Easy Oil Changes

A local shop here in Phoenix called Master Collision.
It's owned by friend of mine.
Painting Quads is not his core business but they did a great job and he only charged me his cost.

Old 08-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default Easy Oil Changes

Lucky Pup....Why don't I ever get breaks like that..?