CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Timing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing?

Originally posted by: 650VIPER
Way to rich. Smaller pilots and lean out the needle. Then readjust you air screw and idle.

Won't disagree with you, but these are the same carb settings I was running before tearing the bike apart, so that doesn't make sense to me.

Old 08-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?
Default Timing?

Al, Your mechanic may have tried to advance the cam 1 tooth. He did that on one of my builds a few years ago.. Did you port your head while it was out?

Old 08-21-2005, 10:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Timing?

Al:

Check your floats and make sure the valves aren't sticking.

With the fuel in the intake manifold I have to lean to the carbs being the issue.

Don't know how long you were down but, that fuel can gum up or go bad. You shouldn't be idleing too fast with the bad fuel so, that has me thinking maybe floats are sticking.

Hope it is that simple.

On the bike with the bad float valves (above post) the idle is way too high. I've got the same jets and needle position as the other bike so, I think it is just pulling a litttle more fuel causing it to idle high.

Old 08-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Timing?

Originally posted by: ANNIHILATER
Al, Your mechanic may have tried to advance the cam 1 tooth. He did that on one of my builds a few years ago.. Did you port your head while it was out?

Mario, absolutly nothing was done to the engine except putting it back together.

I will ask him to check the cam timing tomorrow.

Mark, no one around here seems to know much about these carbs. (That I know of, I've asked around before.)

If I don't get this squared away by DS days, maybe you can look at them for me.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Timing?

The guy that put the engine together is going to check the timing and if that's OK he is going too check my floats in the carbs.

Here's what I got today.

With the bike cold from sitting all day, it started up rather easily. Just one back fire out the exhaust.

But I still can't get it to idle below 2,000rpm.

Old 08-23-2005, 12:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Timing?

Al:

Pull the filters off and make sure the slides are all the way down. If they aren't you'll never be able to adjust the idle out with the dongle.

Is there slack in the throttle cable?

I've had the linkage for the accelerator pump lock up on me once too. Doubtful but, that could be causing the slides to not drop all the way down.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Timing?

Mark, I'm not convinced it's the carbs. If i wack the throttle a couple times before starting it, it would add more fuel and it should be worse. But that's not the case.

One thing I noticed today. When the bike is running and I hit the throttle, I see air/smoke come out of the carbs.

Isn't the air supposed to go in?

well, I brought it down to be looked at. Hopefully it's running properly when I get it back.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Timing?

If the filters are off the carbs and you have it running, you'll see atomized fuel come out of the carbs sometimes. I'm sure this is normal.

I can't remember if it comes out all the time or just as the RPM's are falling or what. Either way, I've seen it. That air pump creates enough velocity then the valves shut the air backs up and comes back out a little.

You've probably seen the same thing before so, I'm guessing it is really exhaust???

Old 08-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Timing?

I've never seen this much before, and it actually looks like smoke.

well I'll let you know what John finds. Hopefully I'll be ready for DS Days.

i will run it like this though, if I have to.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default Timing?

Originally posted by: VEGAS650

One thing I noticed today. When the bike is running and I hit the throttle, I see air/smoke come out of the carbs.
Could the timing be so far off that some of the exhaust is actually coming out of the intake? If the timing was that far off, would it even run?

If it were me, I would stop guessing about the timing and take the valve cover off, set it at TDC and see where the cams are at. If the timing is off and you are messing with the carbs, then the carbs will be off when the timing is fixed.

Quick Reply: Timing?