CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

loud clank in motor/starter????

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud clank in motor/starter????

well guys i have been reading posts bout cdi's and i am just about to order a big gun cdi. some folks have said they have a loud clank or metal to metal sound come from the motor/starter. i have a stock cdi and i have heard this sound on occasion. i have a ported intake, uni filter, and hmf pipe. i also have a hi-comp piston. i run high octane fuel as well. people have said it is from the advanced timing of the cdi's but mine is stock and i have heard this awful sound many times. the bike always starts and runs great but i am worried about future problems that may cost big bucks.. whats the deal. i am feakin out after hearing all these horror stories[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

I hate that sound. It makes me cringe everytime. I think is because of the hi comp pistion. That is what one of my builders to me. My buddy has that noise but real bad. It did lesson with the stock cdi compared to his procomm but it is still there. Mine has made that noise ever since a starting running Hi comp pistions. 2 years with no problems. It doesn't do it every time on my quad.

Old 09-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

so it would probably be a bad idea to get a aftermarket cdi?. man that sux . i hat that sound too. i really hope i am not doing serious damage. it does not do it all the time but any time is enough to make me worry. anyone else have some input.

Old 09-17-2005, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

I dont have a high comp piston but i did have a procomm cdi.Someone on here suggested i turn
up the idle to compinsate.When i had the aftermarket cdi my idle was at 1500,and no problems.

Old 09-18-2005, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Mine made that noise when I had the Procomm CDI on, but when I went back to stock, it barely ever happens now.

Old 09-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With my stock engine, I had the Procom CDI. I experienced the LOUD gear thrashing sound when the motor wouldn't initially start, or if it would stall. Many on the forum have stated that the Big Gun & White Bros. are manufactured by Procom, but with different software/curves. After 8 months with the Procom, I requested a refund. They refunded my money when I sent them the hardware back. I was told they're working on changes to the DS650 CDI.

I'm saving for the Vortex ($399). Everyone with who has this hardware is extremely satisfied with their purchase as well as the performance. The Vortex has 10 different selectable curves, 2 you can switch between on the handlebar using the handlebar switch.

Old 09-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm... I've often wondered about that noise. When it is cold and it stalls it makes a sickening noise. I think to myself "that can't be good?"
So what is eventually going to happen?

Old 09-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

i understand that this happens to some aftermarket cdi's but i dont have one. mine is STOCK and i have the problem

Old 09-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

I too have had my share of the clanking, grinding sound, when I pulled my motor apart, I saw a fair amount of galling on the crank shaft directly under the fly wheel and the woodruff key that fits between the fly wheel and crank was getting pretty beat up. There were fine slivers of metal in the drain plug, I can only assume they came from the
back lash that was happening to the flywheel. I replaced the flywheel key. Possible scenario is that over time the key would shear and the flywheel would spin out of time and the motor would die and not restart, metal shavings would flow thru the bottom end and possibly damage other sensitive components.
I haven't heard of this happening to any one yet, but I do recall Scooby snapped his crank at least 2 times with his turbo, don't know how extensive the damge was.

Old 09-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

wow, that sux. i just dont understand . is it from the advanced timing of aftermarket cdi's and/or my high comp piston? also maybe i should tear apart my motor this winter. i am about to put it back together from a recent crash and also i just got some parts powdercoated and also a bunch of other new stuff. i am not ready for any more downtime.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: loud clank in motor/starter????