CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Oxygenated fuel???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 03:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxygenated fuel???

Originally posted by: number8redrider
yeah - I mix 50% "av" gas from the local airport it's way cheaper than all that other stuff - and 110 octane - in a 4 stroke you need to mix 50-50 w/ pump gas because the av gas has no lubricants in it because they would freeze at high altitudes in a plane - and your piston needs the lubes - so mixing 1/2 110 and 1/2 96 you get about 103 octane for way cheaper -( you can use it w/ your mix in a 2 stroke w/ no pump gas 'cause all the oil you're mixing in)

Lubes in fuel??? OK. . . [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

AV gas. . . hmmm I haven't been riding at that high of an altitude so, haven't been running it either.

Old 09-29-2005, 08:07 AM
Pro Rider

Isn't methanol's main function to reduce pollutants??

Old 09-29-2005, 11:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TheChosenOne
methanol.....is there a special bland of methanol that is developed for use in engines, or is it the same stuff we use in the rig as say air line antifreeze or to melt ice off things? would be sweet if it were just the cheap old methanol we use everyday....

TheCHosenOne, It is the EXACT same stuff, The OILfield grade methonal is a bit more "trashy" so you will need to use a quality funnel with a Screen to filter the ALKY. Also the you can buy a "top Lube" to mix with your alky so it wont be so corrosive to metals in your carb. Before switching to alky , be sure you how to REJET and maintain the ALKY when not in use.

You can paying 2.25 per gallon for alky that has been labelled AAAgrade , but it is the same stuff with the top lube added already.

Bigger.

Old 09-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneMe
yeah - I mix 50% "av" gas from the local airport it's way cheaper than all that other stuff - and 110 octane - in a 4 stroke you need to mix 50-50 w/ pump gas because the av gas has no lubricants in it because they would freeze at high altitudes in a plane - and your piston needs the lubes - so mixing 1/2 110 and 1/2 96 you get about 103 octane for way cheaper -( you can use it w/ your mix in a 2 stroke w/ no pump gas 'cause all the oil you're mixing in)

Lubes in fuel??? OK. . . [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

AV gas. . . hmmm I haven't been riding at that high of an altitude so, haven't been running it either.
Yea they had to add chemicals to lube when the gov't made them take the lead out of gas. When your running old cars you actually have to put a lead additive in. The lead in the gas is an excellant lubricant.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

yup - if you don't mix it 50-50 - you'll burn up your rings/piston because it'll burn "dry" - and yeah-I usually am at sea level riding - those ds's are just too heavy to fly to high altitudes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-30-2005, 02:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

yup - if you don't mix it 50-50 - you'll burn up your rings/piston because it'll burn "dry" - and yeah-I usually am at sea level riding - those ds's are just too heavy to fly to high altitudes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
All right. . . can't let this go any longer.

First, your piston doesn't need any lube from the fuel (unless you have a two-stroke).

The rings are lubricated or actually scrape lube off the cylinder as the piston is on the down strokes.

As for the Riding at altitudes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] that AV gas you are saving a few bucks isn't helping you. It won't vaporize as well as race gas. Liquids like water will boil or vaporize as the atmospheric pressure drops. Water will actually boil at room temperature in the absence of atmosphere. AV gas is dessiged to NOT vaporize at Altitude so, using it at or near sea-level gives it even less of a chance to vaporize. Your best burn will occur when the air and fuel are fully mixed.

My understanding is that lead was used to lubricate the valves of older engines. Newer engine technology doesn't require the lubrication due to small amounts of oil that get past valve seals and the material make-up of the valve guide (Very interested in other peoples understanding on this. I've only asked one mechanic and I'ld like to hear if there are other thoughts.)

Old 09-30-2005, 03:01 PM
amd
Pro Rider

good explanation dune me. I agree

Old 03-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Would this go well with NOS?

Old 03-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I wouldn't personally do this choose for 2 reasons;

#1. You are after the O2 in this fuel and if you want more power just jet the N2O fatter.
#2. Usually the Ox fuels don't go above 100 octane because the O2 moves the burn rate to FAST. If you are squeezing a lot of N2O with a low octane fuel your going to be picking aluminum out of your pipe.
If you want to mess around with this stuff you can add about 15% alky in hot weather to some race gas for a little more power and octane. But you have to do it all the time or your tune will be off.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

True. Thanks. I'll just wait til we install a stronger piston and bump up the juice. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] The motor is the limit when running nos, LOL!

Quick Reply: Oxygenated fuel???