CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Thinking of building a DS 730? Read on.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of building a DS 730? Read on.

Well, I'm sorry to say, it's on hold for a while. I moved and am in the process of building my new shop. I have no furniture in the house yet but my shop now has heat and I have power to my machines. Priorities right? Anyway, My head is assembled, cylinder is plated, rings are gapped. All I have to do is assemble the parts and install the motor. I will do that this spring. I promise I will update with how it works. I will probably be asking the forum members about jetting. Reading these four stroke plugs make me a little nervous yet. Always look lean to a two stroke tuner. I see "Old man racing" dont live too far away. He has alot to say about carbs. Maybe we can tune together.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

Here is an oldie. I was searching the old posts for some reference on another project and brought up old memories of all of us building big bores. Haven't been here for some time. Curious to hear how the big bore guys are doing. It was a huge discussion a while back on who was the best/ worst/ rip off/ full of BS. For what ever reason, I remember lots of hate for what should have been a fun evolution. We DS riders were already underdogs for popularity.

Anyway, an update on my 730: Got it all together early/mid '06; got some tuning help from OMW on the phone and its been fun every since. I don't want to jinx myself but she is still running strong. Adjust the valves every now and again. Pump gas and fun.

However, I'm thinking of moving on. Maybe a side by side or buggy (thus the research). Same thing happened a long time ago. I got bored of the old LT500 got rid of it and ended up with the DS. We'll see what happens this time(Now I'm a husband and father).

Looks like OMW is doing well. I'm glad to see he's still around. Looked like a great product then and hopefully the work paid off.

H

Old 09-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

I've got two HPR 730's that run very strong. Just got back from DS Days up at St. Anthony and my son and I did side trips to Coral Pink and Little Sahara (the real one!). Some of the tougher motors to come out of the builder wars "back in the day". HPR/OMW is still around as is The Bom so kudos to them.
I also am waiting to get a RZR XP900 but I don't think I'll ever be without a DS. Five of them out in the garage right now and looking to sell two of them to make room for the DS.
Lots of guys have moved on to conversion bikes and have been more than pleased with the outcome. Busa was the way to go early on but I believe the train of thought now is that the GSXR 1000 is the more balanced and lighter of the motors so most guys are strapping those on.
Good luck with whatever route you decide to take.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I installed a HPR 730 kit in my 2000 DS back in about 2006. Did some head with bigger valves. Had a Lectron 46 before I did the conversion. Also had the tranny gears back cut at the same time.

2012 - Bike still runs as strong as ever, starts the the first turn and still shifts like butter. I have a holiday planned to Kentucky next year and am planning on taking my motor with me for OMW to do a 5mm stroker (770cc) and a freashen up on the engine.

The DS is still the only bike for me, Nothing better then the look on thier faces when the big yellow school bus passes them (450's) up the big hills in St. A's

Also picked up a 2005 DS last year for $500.00 for the wife. Had no first gear, needed shift forks, had the gears back cut and put a 12:1 piston and cams in, no big bore in that one, scares the wife as it is.

Long Live the DS650.