CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Got my TM45 yesterday, questions.......UPDATED WITH DYNO RUN

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my TM45 yesterday, questions.......

Got the stage one kit from Ron Woods (minus pipe). The TM45 that came with the kit does NOT have the accell pump activated. What are the pros/cons? Do I need to go ahead and get it activated? What is involved in doing it?

Old 10-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

clshortt: well how far along have you gotten with the new carb??? what did you do with the accell pump ???

Old 10-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Thats too bad. The pump parts need to come with the carb. I know that when you get it directly from Ron Wood they don't give you the pump parts -

The pump is designed to help with low end power just below 3000 rpm. If you dont have the pump, and stab the throttle at RPMs below 3000, then the motor will fall on its face. If you have the pump, with a 50 size pump jet, and adjusted correctly, it will not fall on it face - it will run like a METH addict who stole just stole my tools. LOL - well, better than that! The pump does add more throttle tension because you are using both springs instead of one. A way around that is with an ext thumb throttle and/or spring modification.

hope that helps

Old 10-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys,

Got the new carb on over the weekend. After some investigation I found the only parts missing are the pump rod, an the pump stop screw. I fabricated my own pump rod out of a piece of stainless rod I had and activated the pump myself. I have been reading about the need for the pump to be working. After getting the pump working I made a call to RWR, I ask the guy why the carb comes with the pump deactivated he tolf me "they are easier to tune without them" and that "they run better with no pump". Well, I wanted to make those decisions myself. I asked him if they sold the parts to reactivate the pump. He told me "No, but I will give them to you, along with a tuning guide. Where would you like them sent?". I was floored! That is way cool! He was very nice and we talked for a while about what kind of pipe I have and I told him the Big Gun Race Series, he told me that that would be fine and would run good. He said that I will love the way the Stage 1 kit "Wakes the bike up". Can't wait!

After puting the carb and intake on (CDI not on yet), I cant' believe the way it runs! Very "snappy" throttle responce! EASY starts! I hope to have it on the Dyno this weekend. I will post the results when I get them.

Old 10-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

Yo OregonDune....

That was awsome ....

"it will run like a METH addict who stole just stole my tools."

Well at least you have a since of humor about it ...

Thanks for the laugh [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Interesting....

I too have the TM45, and understand the pros and cons of a pump carb.
I also have a Edelbrock pumper on my XR650... which works like a champ!

SO....
I too found the carb came from RWR without the nozzle and had it sent to me, with basicly the same exact (awesome) response you got. However, I wasn't too happy that I had to find out for myself that it was NOT included. The email I got explaining the 'no nozzle' theory was to rely on the knowledge of Ron and his tuning capabilities. Well... after reading a lot of comments on this site... it sounds like the nozzle will work just fine (as I'd rather have that low end and no "bog" when stabbing the throttle) more or less because my woman rides it.

Now, does the carb come with the #50 nozzle?? Or the larger one?

And... they did send me the parts, but I haven't looked at them yet. So anyone who knows off hand... let me know!

Thanks!!!

Old 10-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

Jonnie,
Mine came with the #60, I am going to try it and play with it. Hightower sias it is too big, I am inclined to believe him, he is probobly right! Anyhow, I will let you know. I hope it works out. I will have PLENTY of time on the Dyno. I plan on taking a few pics and possibly some video. I will keep you posted. I am planning on trying several different combinations.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

I would listen to Hightower. He helped me set up my TM45 and is spot on. Runs like a raped ape.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

some have come with a 70, some with the 60. in my experience the 60 will work okay for most stuff, especially if you are not at higher altitude. and even at higher altitude they will work okay if all the other tuning is in order. but sometimes in the tight twisty woods trails where you are spending most of the time with your hand on the clutch and feathering and goosing around tight corners and over logs and rocks, all that back and forth on the throttle constantly squirting from like idle to 1/8 or 1/4 throttle, it can get a little loaded up with too big a pump nozzle. actually the 60 or even 70 may give a little better squirt for better response hammering from like 1/2 to wide open (as long as you have your limit screw set to allow that far of travel, I set mine to squirt til 3/4), but its the tight tooling or slow putting on the gncc trails where the 50 becomes more ideal.

clshortt - I'm at 700 feet, the oklahoma dunes are a bit higher and I have to jet down a little when I come out to Little Sahara. But I don't have to mess with the pumper settings going from here to anywhere, all the way to 10K' high. However, at the higher altitudes the stumble off idle is not as bad as it is at sea level. So what I'm saying is that you might be able to set up with the #60 nozzle, and adjust the start squirt screw to allow a little more delay before the squirt begins, to alleviate the potential "loading up" I described above while putting around slow and throttle pumping.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

Far beit for me to disagree with hightower, but this may be one of those rare occasions! LOL My feeling is that the pumper is NOT sensitive to altitude. There may be some rare occasion that it might, but I have not seen it yet. The #50 is the the best pump jet available. If they had a #45, it would be better. It will be easier to tune with a #50 rather than a larger one. JMHO

Quick Reply: Got my TM45 yesterday, questions.......UPDATED WITH DYNO RUN