CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

800 outlander heat problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800 outlander heat problem

I got my Outlander 800XT a week ago. I put 37 miles on it last weekend. I didn't go much over half throttle while breaking it in. I got so much of radient heat from the exhaust that the bottom of the seat and part of the fender started to melt. I also almost went through a tank of gas in 37 miles. The teck told me that the computer said the bike was running fine. Bombardier is replacing the seat and fenders. Bombardier told the teck that I was running the bike to slow. I did some riding on dirt roads at 30 to 40 mph. Some slow trail riding. Being a utility bike it should be able to run at any speed without this much heat buildup. Has anyone else had this problem? Bombardier told the teck that they had a couple of other cases of this and they were all broke in easily. I have owned several other utility bikes and never had this problem.
Other than the heat problem, I can't say enough good things about the bike. It handles and rides great and has the power to make it a fun machine. I really like the bike. I hope the heat problem gets cured.

Hoepig

Old 10-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

Other than the heat problem, I can't say enough good things about the bike. It handles and rides great and has the power to make it a fun machine. I really like the bike. I hope the heat problem gets cured.
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;

A couple of the magazine reviews I read made mention of a lot of heat coming from under the seat. I can't believe they said you were riding too slow, these things have radiators just like a car so it should not matter. It wasn't overheating? And to go through that much gas it must be running richer then hell which MIGHT explain the heat??

Old 10-25-2005, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

i havent read up much about the new 800's but arent they fuel injected?? if so i dont see any reason it should run hot...that sounds really weird it melting the plastic...i have never heard of anything doing that before..expecially b/c it was broken in easily thats just retarded...

Old 10-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

i havent read up much about the new 800's but arent they fuel injected?? if so i dont see any reason it should run hot...that sounds really weird it melting the plastic...i have never heard of anything doing that before..expecially b/c it was broken in easily thats just retarded...

>>>>>>>>

Yeah, forgot about the fuel injection. So much for easy break in's huh?

Old 10-26-2005, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

Bought mine from dealer with 100 miles. They broke it in by racing and everyone hot rodding it. Got the 5 year warrentee but I will probably mod it anyway. My doesn't seem to heat when riding slow. I think They have a chip to retard timing at first.

Old 10-26-2005, 06:22 AM
Pro Rider

A friend of mine has one and we rode for a few hours a the sandhills and his bikes gas gage just had two ticks off of full showing(I thought we were gonna have to stop and pour gas out). Didn't notice any heat on his. Hope you find out what's going on.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

The left side gets hot on these, but not enough to melt anything on mine!! During break-in I ran it about 80% throttle and got it up to 55-60mph and continually ran it fast and slow...never had any overheating. Thing ran great. I took it in at the 10 hour point and it cost $250 for them to tell me all is fine....and an oil change.
I would ask the dealer to check something else. Did the check engine light come on?

Old 10-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

No lights or warnings. The teck found that the speedo was not reading properly. Being fuel injected and run off of a computer, the false speedo readings may have messed up the fuel mix. I hope that's all it was. The new fenders are supposed to be in early next week. I hope to take her out next weekend and give it a good run. It's good to hear that this is not a common problem.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

No lights or warnings. The teck found that the speedo was not reading properly. Being fuel injected and run off of a computer, the false speedo readings may have messed up the fuel mix. I hope that's all it was. The new fenders are supposed to be in early next week. I hope to take her out next weekend and give it a good run. It's good to hear that this is not a common problem. >>>>

Sounds like it was running way too rich and was heating up the exhaust which probably wouldn't read as overheating. I bet if it were dark and you could look at the exhaust it was probably cherry red. I've read on other forums about guys complaining about their exhaust heating up and normally its a fuel mixture problem.

Old 10-27-2005, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

Glad you got it figured out. I found out that their is no chip, motor is tight and after a few miles it starts to run better. Some say it takes 200 or so.

Quick Reply: 800 outlander heat problem