CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Oil Change Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Problem

A week or so ago, I did an oil and filter change on my 03 (going to Dumont next weekend!). I have done probably four or five oil changes myself before, and never had a problem with the red light staying on after I was done. In the past, it would always turn off within ten seconds to one minute after starting the bike. This time, though, I had a problem. After I was done, oil filled, filter replaced and filter cover on, I started the bike and the light stayed on. After about one minute, I shut the motor off. I waited a few minutes, started the motor again, the light stayed on again, so I shut it off after a minute or two. I had always read about the bleeder screw and what a pain it was, but I always thought I didn't have to worry about it since I had an 03. So I took the oil filter cover off, and hardly any oil came spilling out, so I assume there was no oil pressure when I was running the motor (boy did I feel like a jackass). So, I got the biggest screwdriver I have, locked some vice-grips onto the handle and turned, and the bleeder screw didn't move and even started to strip. So I decided to (and now I know this wasn't very bright) start the motor one more time. This time, the light turned off after about two minutes. I rode it up and down my street, and it seemed to run fine and the light never came back on.

My questions are these: 1) how much damage could I have done to the motor by running it at idle with no oil pressure for maybe five minutes total? If there is damage, what signs should I look for?, 2) is the theory that bleeding the system on 2001 and up models not being necessary wrong? , and 3) is there a better way to get that darn bleeder screw off that doesn't requre a trip to the dealer or buying yet more tools? I never knew that changing the oil could cause me so much grief (and make such a big mess).

Any input you guys can give me would be much appreciated.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like an air problem and it worked itself out. I would certainly check to see how much pressure you have for sure. I would think you would be able to hear a change in the motor sound. Like a sudden skreetch followed by a loud bang. Just kidding[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Put a gauge on it and be sure. If it seem to run fine its probably ok but I would definitley get it checked. Might be an oil pump or possibly a faulty sending unit. I have yet to find a good way to change the oil without a mess. Good luck

Old 10-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

I changed the oil in mine for the first time since I have owned it and I was gonna do the screw thing because the manual says to do that to make sure you have oil pressure. But just as you I tried the biggest driver that I had and that damn thing would not move, and I stopped as well because I was affraid of the thing breaking. But fortunatly I did not have a problem with the oil. I can say this bravely, I don't think you caused any damage because even though there was no pressure, everything still had lube on it, you would prob damage something though if you rode it without pressure. I agree that you would of heard something if there was aproblem. Next oil change will tell ya if something did get hurt, but I don't think you need to worry. I've seen car engine's run quite awhile before without oil in them, and one of my friends put a car engine together one time, "that I had to fix" that he did'nt put the oil pump drive shaft back in and he put about 15 miles on it before he got with me about not having any oil pressure. Believe it or not but it did'nt hurt the engine. RUSS

Old 10-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

I have an easy way to change the oil tank oil without any mess. Go to the hardware store get 2 close nipples the same thread as your plug and a valve like for water put a nipple in the tank put the valve on the nipple put the second nipple on the valve, get e piece of hose that will just slip over the nipple guide it down to a drain pan open the valve ,oil goes through the hose into the pan - no mess. total cost about 10 dollars.