CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Bombardier Cuts Jobs and Heads to Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bombardier Cuts Jobs and Heads to Mexico

...Bummer...!...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

i
Bombardier Cuts Jobs and Heads to Mexico
CBC Montreal

Bombardier Recreational Products is cutting another 300 jobs at its factory in Valcourt, Que. just one year after it cut 600 jobs in the Eastern Townships.

The company is moving production of its all-terrain vehicles to Mexico, blaming the high Canadian dollar and Asian competition for the move.

Workers have been told 150 jobs will be cut in 2007 and another 150 in 2008.

"It's not an excuse, it's a reason: globalization," says factory worker Michel Girard, noting the news is hard to swallow.

Valcourt, where the headquarters of BRP are based, is considered to be the roots of the Bombardier empire. The company is the world leader in snowmobile and recreational watercraft production.

However, BRP is relatively new to the all-terrain vehicle market.

BRP is still trying to gain ground on international competition, and moving to Mexico will help BRP save money, says company spokesperson Pierre Pichette.

"We looked at various scenarios and transferring our operations to Mexico just made more sense," said Jose Boisjoli, the president and CEO of privately-held BRP.

The company said the manufacture of its Ski-Doo snowmobiles and Sea-Doo watercraft manufacturing operations will remain in Valcourt as BRP is completing a $10 million investment to revamp its assembly line.

The company is not turning its back on Valcourt, Pichette insists.

"Valcourt, Que. is 50 per cent of what BRP is, and that won't change. We're committed to Valcourt," he said Wednesday.

Layoffs were announced two years in advance to give workers a chance to find other jobs. BRP will use the time to refurbish its Mexico factory before moving production there.

Formerly owned by Bombardier Inc., BRP was taken private in late 2003 by members of the Bombardier family, Bain Capital and the Caisse de depot et placement du Quebec.
Bummer...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-04-2005, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

Well I hate to see this if it is true. Everthing is going to mexico because of the very cheap labor. I know from experiance that this would be a bad thing for bomb atv's. We tried a partnership in the semi trailer manufacturing end, and it did'nt work out. The quality was very poor and sales were not real good. The only benefit we had was the $2.00 "tops" per hour rate. I will say this in confidence that if this happens I will not buy another brp! Bottom line!

Old 11-04-2005, 07:47 AM
Range Rover

Im thinking of going back to Polaris myself.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

at least the engines will still be made by rotax in europe, hopefully.
if we're lucky they will maintain quality control standards in spite of different labor, but that's sometimes hard to do.
I will say that I have had many products made in mexico by american companies in the past that have proven to be fine quality, but I know it doesn't always hold true. but my mexican Fender Squire played as good as my american Fender Stratocaster guitar, and cost $250 instead of $1000.
I guess its been coming, what with their korean minis and the new ds250.
regardless, it does indeed suck for the people losing their jobs up here.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hightower
at least the engines will still be made by rotax in Europe, hopefully.
if we're lucky they will maintain quality control standards in spite of different labor, but that's sometimes hard to do.
I will say that I have had many products made in Mexico by American companies in the past that have proved to be fine quality, but I know it doesn't always hold true. but my Mexican Fender Squire played as good as my American Fender Stratocaster guitar, and cost $250 instead of $1000.
I guess its been coming, what with their Korean minis and the new ds250.
regardless, it does indeed suck for the people losing their jobs up here.
Being made in Mexico does not necessarily me lower quality. Look at Toyota, Coke and Caterpillar just to name a few who have successfully built and maintained plants in Mexico and most consumers don't even know where the product was assembled. And just as a side note my Jeep Wrangler was built in Canada! not the USA like most people would have thought.....

Old 11-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dont blame the Mexicans! Blame Canada! BRP is just making Smart Business move, so they can stay competitive with the Japanese Manufacturer(which also have cheap labor). Canadian labor laws and Insurance companies aswell as taxes is what is driving BRP atv division to Mexico. MANY MANY huge companies do most of the Assembly work in Mexico.

To say that it is "ok" to give Tawian,Japan, Indonesia, ETC. Your american cash but NOT THE MEXICANS is just silly.

Bigger.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: biggerisbetter
Dont blame the Mexicans! Blame Canada! BRP is just making Smart Business move, so they can stay competitive with the Japanese Manufacturer(which also have cheap labor). Canadian labor laws and Insurance companies aswell as taxes is what is driving BRP atv division to Mexico. MANY MANY huge companies do most of the Assembly work in Mexico.

To say that it is "ok" to give Tawian,Japan, Indonesia, ETC. Your american cash but NOT THE MEXICANS is just silly.

Bigger.
I have to agree with Bigger on this one. Look, I'm an American, and will tell you I think jobs should stay here. But to be frank, I have no enhanced loyalty to Canada over Mexico. Foreign is foreign in my book. I'd love to have them made here, but if not, as long as the quality is there then more power to them. Besides, it kinda makes sence that the winner of the "Baja" was actually made in Mexico. Pass the Tequila - Make that Silver Patron!

Old 11-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

Ditto to what Marky said.

You would not care if it was made in Russia....Where's my Vodka [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: biggerisbetter
... Blame Canada!....
Wow.... strong comment. Anyone seen the Southpark Movie? Haha, wonderful stuff. Let's just not start a war over it.

Old 11-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Range Rover

At least alot of the Japanese companies have their machines assembled in the USA. I'd never buy a BRP for that reason alone. Seriously, that is a shame.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Bombardier Cuts Jobs and Heads to Mexico