CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

O.T. ATV but it ain't a DS

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 07:13 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.T. ATV but it ain't a DS

Check out the last pic on my page.
Across the country colleges engineering depts compete in off road events with buggies such as these. This is one of Oregon States 2 entries with which they've done well with in the last couple years. They cycle through 2 cars, one new and the older gets phased out as a new prototype gets built. I think the teams are given a new engine every 2 years.
"The prototype cars, all powered by the same 10-horsepower Intek Model 20 engine, are rigorously tested for speed, traction, power, maneuverability and durability in dynamic events such as a 150-foot long straight-line acceleration run, a steep-hill climb, a narrow and winding maneuverability course, a rock crawl over boulders and rough terrain and an endurance race. Teams also compete in "static events," submitting design and cost reports and making a sales presentation to a team of judges."
Basically the teams come up with a vehicle for a fictitious company and make it cost effective yet competitve. I think the mass produced cost target is $3,000.

I talked to these guys at the State fair this year, they also race a small road car with a 600cc streetbike engine but the buggy really caught my attention. I looked it over pretty closely and didn't know how much advice I should give, I want the local guys to do well but yet they should learn on their own. There are alot of teams across the U.S. and they are trying everything in the book.
When I pointed out that they were coming close to building something very similar to stadium racing converted odysseys like were popular in the late 70's and 80's, I got blank looks. These guys weren't born yet-oops.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

It seems to me, that if they are looking to win they should be doing their homework to find out what has already been done. IF someone has already been down that road - why re-invent the wheel. I always figure I know what I know, but I'm looking to talk to the people who know something I don't and then learn it.

Pretty spiffy vehicle though - my dad was hoping to get something like that - in the $3000 category to boot.

Old 11-08-2005, 05:17 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

If I remember right they told me they actually had $7000 into it. This one had a custom made lockable transmission which was beefy and looked similar to the one on my Pilot. I really don't know if it was necessary though, it adds cost and complexity.
Blackhawk, your right about the research, kind of why I was shocked they hadn't dug into stadium racers. They won the competitions the last couple years and placed high this year so they must be doing something right.