CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

720 Big Bore blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 01:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 720 Big Bore blown head gasket

you run a 13:1 compression on pump gas??? How do you get by with that?

Old 11-16-2005, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

i dont care who u call, ALL of them are going to tell u the same thing if u run pump gas with a 13.5-1 piston!!!!!!! TOUGH ****....ecspecially if they tell u to shut it down and u keep running it....lol...thats stupid, kinda like running your car without oil, locking the motor up, THEN complaining about the dealership that sold it to ya....that kinda falls in the "AH DUH" catagorie... dont get me wrong , i to had an issue with the head gasket, but this is a no brainer...

turn this around...lets say someone did this to one of erics motor...HPR guys would be all over him(rightfully so) for posting that after finding out he ran pump gas...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2005, 01:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Gee entomber if i let you hold me reasposable for your mistakes. will you still bring all your buiness my way ???????? Yea right take it down the road because im in the buiness to make money. I will treat you fair but i can't give my work away because some one don't know what there doing. It is in black and white all the info is hear to draw an intellegent conculsion and you still want to trash the guy get real!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2005, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

AZSAND

I run a business also and I know what it is like with people quick to cut you off to making a profit but I have to disagree with you "whoomps" all over the customer support. I had a poorly packaged product from TVI and when I mentioned about nicks all over the piston "file it down" was the response I got. When you order a JE Piston it comes bubble wrapped and with directions for filing the rings and a note on compression and which fuels to use. I agree with TheBigshow, this one was a no brainer but if Gary sold him 3 bikes and built his motor why didn't he mention this small detail? I am sure he knew he was green. I am sure of it when I spoke to Gary ( I have mentioned it to him personally ) When I bought my DS they walked me thru it on how to operate it and reminded me to use 91 octane gas as it states on the factory decal or gas cap. I'm not saying the gasket failure is TVI's fault ... just stating his customer support seems to only work well for those within his circle.

Indeed this is an expensive lesson learned I'm sure everyone has gotten hit with a situation like this once in thier life.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Entomber
AZSAND

I run a business also and I know what it is like with people quick to cut you off to making a profit but I have to disagree with you "whoomps" all over the customer support. I had a poorly packaged product from TVI and when I mentioned about nicks all over the piston "file it down" was the response I got. When you order a JE Piston it comes bubble wrapped and with directions for filing the rings and a note on compression and which fuels to use. I agree with TheBigshow, this one was a no brainer but if Gary sold him 3 bikes and built his motor why didn't he mention this small detail? I am sure he knew he was green. I am sure of it when I spoke to Gary ( I have mentioned it to him personally ) When I bought my DS they walked me thru it on how to operate it and reminded me to use 91 octane gas as it states on the factory decal or gas cap. I'm not saying the gasket failure is TVI's fault ... just stating his customer support seems to only work well for those within his circle.

Indeed this is an expensive lesson learned I'm sure everyone has gotten hit with a situation like this once in thier life.

i feel for him...that just has to make him sick to to have a new motor rebuilt after only one ride...

Old 11-16-2005, 03:45 AM
Pro Rider

I think Gary stated in his letter that he did tell him to run 110 octane in the quad.

13:1 compression and advanced timing, it will deffinetly be a bad day with good ol premium gas. In the banshee world, they have adjustable timing plates. Anything over a +4 timing advance, the norm is to run race fuel because the advanced timing ups the compression causing pinging. Its going to do the same for a 4-stroke.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

Originally posted by: DuneMe
Interesting. . .

Eric: If the O-rings are recessed too low they won't work as designed? Could you then use the MLS (Cometic) gasket???

My 105.5 jug has an O-ring and I've been running the MLS gasket on it for a couple years now. (Knockin' on wood!) Not sure how recessed the O-ring is. BTW, Gary told me the same thing.

Great info.

I'm guessing mine is probably recessed. . . guess I lucked out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Great info. Again, Bomb thread has the best info by far.
The reason an o-ring setup uses copper is so it will crush. The cometic gasket is steel and just sit's on top of the o-ring then when you torque the head down it warps and the cylinder wall distorts up close to TDC causing the piston ring's to loose seal during the compression stroke. I know it will work but its kinda bad for performance and has great potential to leak. I thought you were running a Pami cylinder...why did you o-ring it?

Bigboo, how long did your bike run before it started leaking? Detnation will blow the gasket between the cylinder and water jacket pumping cylinder pressure into the coolant system. An improper sealed head gasket will just leak water outside the motor.

And guy's know what your talking about when you make definate statements about compression and pump gas. I have seen 15:1 compression on pump gas with proper cam timing.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MisterHP
Originally posted by: DuneMe
The reason an o-ring setup uses copper is so it will crush. The cometic gasket is steel and just sit's on top of the o-ring then when you torque the head down it warps and the cylinder wall distorts up close to TDC causing the piston ring's to loose seal during the compression stroke. I know it will work but its kinda bad for performance and has great potential to leak. I thought you were running a Pami cylinder...why did you o-ring it?
Eric:

Copper will crush. . . that makes sense for sure. I guess I was just wondering if many of the o-rings you've seen are too far recessed to do any good, would they still cause an issue with an MLS gasket?

I picked this jug and center cases up used. It was O-ringed by the previous owner. I'm pretty sure at the time and all metal gasket with gasgacinch was used as the head gasket. . . this was before the MLS (Cometic) gasket came out.

I'm probably due for a cam spring change-out after this trip. Maybe I'll have Preacher pull the O-ring out. You just fill them with sealant?

Thanks for the info!

Continuing to learn things!

Old 11-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

15:1 compression on pump gas..........really??? I've never even seen 15:1 compression(on a gas motor)........sounds pretty close to dieseling........

Old 11-16-2005, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

Most of the o-rings I have seen are only about .003-.005 above the sleeve surface which is not enough. Then if the sleeve "drops" all sealing is lost. I remove the o-ring and fill the groove with Devcon plastic-steel epoxy. After it hardens take a light cleanup cut on the deck of the cylinder. I would also take a cleanup cut on the head. I have only fixed three or four but none have leaked after the fix. When you go back with the cometic DO NOT put any sealant or gaskacinch etc on it. The cometic goes on dry. Added sealant also easily gets in the oil passage that feeds the cams timing chain plunger and top end.

Quick Reply: 720 Big Bore blown head gasket