CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Anyone using Dial a jet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using Dial a jet?

After much research I have settled on getting an Outlander 400. I would love to get a fuel injected machine but that would not leave me with enough $$$ to get a quad for my wife. I think the 400 will be EFI for 07 but I really want that 5 year warranty so I don't want to wait till then.

One of the main reasons I want EFI is because I ride at a wide variety of altitudes. From as low as 2000 ft ASL to as high as 11000 on a rare occasion. Usually I will be between 3000-8000.

Way back when we used to run with a stock airbox lid at low altitudes and a ventilated lid at high altitudes. Worked ok but seems kind of questionable. Water crossings were a no no that way. It was all guesswork and was never just right.

So, enter the dial a jet. The concept sounds great but I wondered if anyone has used one and how it worked out for you. How do they work in practice?

Thanks guys

Old 12-03-2005, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer

I just put the dial a jet on my Polaris Hawkeye. I havent had it out yet in the higher altitudes. If you get one, I would highly recommend letting someone who knows them, install it. The dealer that did mine has installed hundreds of them and has not had one complaint yet. He also told me that he gave design suggestions to dial a jet to make it better. He knows all the correct main jet adjustments to make before installing. So far it is running good at 2000 ft. I will have it out in a few weeks at 6000 ft and I will give you an update.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Range Rover

My neighbor has one on his raptor and says it doesn't live up to half of what they claim and doesn't have a big enough range to eleviate the need to rejet. I know he still has to rejet with the rest of us when we go from the lowland sealevel(ish) dune riding to the high elevation woods riding in Utah we do over the summer. Basically he spent a lot of time and money and still has to rejet.

Old 12-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Range Rover

Go here

http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/ind...howtopic=24596

A gent has pinned a dial-a-jet install on an AC 650 V2 w/pictures. His comments, not only about the install, but how it works on his quad are there. You should find the information useful.

I admit I like the idea, but like you have questions as to it's real world capabilities. Jetting for the lowest altitude and going higher won't get you in trouble. Might use a little more gas (anyone have any ballpark data on how jetting for say, sea level and then operating your machine at 5000 feet would affect consumption? E.g. normally get 100 miles/tank, at altitude only 85.) and may not run as good as possible, but you won't damage the engine - save for a possible fouled plug.