CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

JE 720 components?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JE 720 components?

Is anyone running the 720 piston and sleeve from JE? I am considering it for my winter rebuild, but it is only listed for '02 and '03 DS'. I e-mailed them but I just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on the kit.

Thanks
Ben

Old 11-29-2005, 12:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would only buy HPR 730. Wait a minute...... I did buy HPR 730. It is by far the best, most reliable system and the HPR guys alaways seem happy to answer questions. Those sleeve kits scare me. I have heard two or three horror stories for every success story. My $0.02.

Old 11-29-2005, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Do it right and get the HPR730. I rode one at Dumont (Bigdaddys) and it had power everywhere to spare.

Old 11-29-2005, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

How much is the JE sleeve kit run???

Old 11-30-2005, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

ERBEDS- I e-mailed about the cost, I'll let you know when they respond.

DSNUT- I haven't heard the horror stories, could you enlighten me? The HPR route is honestly the one I would like to take, but just after looking at carbs on his page I was turned off due to the price. I understand by reading up here at atvconnection that the prices are fair for the R&D and such put into them, but that still doesn't help with shelling out the cash. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend when all was said and done, and what was done? I am trying to do a rebuild while trying to save for college. Figure that one out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Ben

Old 11-30-2005, 12:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

A 720 and college don't go hand in hand!

Is something wrong with your cylinder? If not leave the bore alone. Put a high compression piston in there and closer her back up.

If something is wrong with your jug you can have it bored over to a 102mm then re-coated. That'll give you about a 680. Add the higher compression and you'll have a runner. Not what a 720 can do but, a heck of a lot less expensive.

There are a lot that have run the sleeved 720 with luck but, let me just say I'm more of a fan of the true cast jugs of HP Research and Team Pami. I'm sure you can get the sleeve and piston but, getting someone to put the seeve in and not have any issues may be more difficult. I would not recommend this on a college budget.

When it comes to these quads engines I don't recommend any shortcuts or cost cutting.

If you want the sleeved jug talk to TVI. They've done it and have had the best success with it.

As for the carbs. . . I don't have any experience with the Lectron. Used the TM45 for a while and it seemed to perform well. I'm running the dual FCR39's now and couldn't be happier with them. Bike starts great and has good response.

If you go 720 you'll also be looking at head-work and cams and valve springs. You're easily looking at $1k for this. Again, I'ld start with a high compression piston then do the cams, valve springs and head porting.

Decide how much you are willing to spend then let us know and we'll let you know how to spend your money.

Also, let us know what kind of riding you do. . . trails, dunes, dune hill climbs, desert trails, etc.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

We will be happy to help you spend your money!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2005, 01:46 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the offer sandbomber!

DuneMe- First off, thanks for the information. I ride fast trails, motocross, and hillclimbs. I have a little experience with sand, but not enough to have a set of paddles devoted to it. There is nothing wrong with my engine now. It runs tremendously well, I just want to get some more power (don't we all!) and freshen things up.

The 102mm bore sounds like a smart idea to keep the cost down. If I did that, I might have money for some mild cams and a carb. At least I could wait to do the cams since the bore isn't too extreme. I might be able to get away with spending about $800 on the engine. I am spending a little bit on my chassis, because I keep breaking things (a cracking frame and snapping a-arms sucks). Also, I would like to keep a single carburetor setup for ease of tuning and so I can keep my thumb throttle. I have not yet done oldman's stock carb mods, so maybe I'll try those soon.

I know a high quality piston will be about $200. Does Mr. HP sell a 102mm piston? I couldn't find one on the website. I am guessing machine work will run $100? I do all of my own mechanical work, but I don't trust my machining skills to bore my cylinder yet. Does the cylinder have a NiKaSil coating or something? What kind of coating are you talking about?

Since this is about the only quad I fit on these days, I guess I better take care of it and do the right mods!

Thanks for the info, I'll keep researching!
Ben

Old 11-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

Check E bay, and search DS650 Pistons, they have 11;1 for about $150.00 bucks plus shipping the Brand is JE.
I did some research on cost of big bore kits, Pami's kit will cost more but I was looking at the 760 kit and will run about $2000.00 with taxes and shipping, HPR is $1800.00 and without having to mod your cases, that save money $$$$, and with the 720 kit you have to bore the cases, so add another $350 plus just to split the case's and re-assembly your motor, Dont know on all 3 kits if you have to Mod the squishto match the bore, if so more $$$
Dang these fricking toys!!!!! They used to be cheap to hot rod up!!! I remember when this was a poor mans sport!!!

Old 11-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

whats wrong with the pami 725 kit for what 1600.00, get it from thebom or marky onthedunes.

Quick Reply: JE 720 components?