CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

EVER RODE KILLPECKER?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVER RODE KILLPECKER?

i asume at 6000' it's not to hot in say june? we also go on a trip over halloween whats it like in late october? it's only 200 more miles than little sahara OK, might be fun in the late fall. we have been going to little sahara for years now and yes it's fun but a new destination might be a fun change!!!

aceisback: it's the feburary 2006 atv rider mag. www.atvrideronline.com
you might have to buy the magazine to see the article.

Old 12-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: TheWeedman
Yea, i wouldnt know about any other sand dunes but silver lake, I never get to travel. I have heard silver lake is pretty small compared to glamis and pismo. wellp i thought id ask.
I am in the same boat as you, I never get to travel, I hear Silver Lake don't even compare to the dunes out west.

I would make the top ten dune list in Michigan[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

JEFFROE, make sure you post when you are going to Silver Lake.

Old 12-27-2005, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

WAYNE!!!! you need to get out and explore these other dune parks. last summer utah and idaho was crazy after riding silver lake and little sahara. it's only 1100 miles to killpecker just about 200 more miles than little sahara. i will contact you befor we go to silver lake this spring, i need to test the buggy make sure it's solid for summer trips. see yaaa!!!

Old 12-27-2005, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

Jeffroe,

Was wondering if you would mind posting the whole top ten in order? Went to the stores to get the rag but couldnt find it.

You dont wan to plan a Halloween trip. We usually get our first big snow of the year every Halloween. Sucks for the little ones. The best times of the year to go there are May thru Sept. May could get a lil cold. The perfect months here are uslually June and Sept with temps hanging right in the low to mid 70's. Sept has least amount of wind. You can ride Killpecker all summer though, no too hot to ride season like Glamis, Sand Mtn UT, Nevada. Most of the time in July and Aug your going to see 80's to 90's with evening and mornings as nice as you could ask for. When you come to WY you have to be prepaired for everything. I have seen all out Blizzards on the 4th of July with temps below freezing. I have also seen on the 4th of July near 100 deg temps. 100 dont sound hot to most but keep in mind, your at 7000 ft (not 6000) at Killpecker. At that altitude the air is thin and the sun will COOK you. I can go to the lower Elev. dunes and not get much of a burn without sunscrean, try that here and you will be blistering in 6 hours or less.

The sand here is extremely soft. It will test your machines power. You stop facing uphill, you will be stuck unless you luanch fast and hard. If it's steep where you stop facing uphill, forget about it, you better turn her around because thats as far as your going.

I forgot to mention that other really bad part of Killpecker for some people. The road from the highway to the dunes is about 20 miles of dirt. It can be rather rough, specially in the small area that isnt maintained much right before the dunes. You will be able to get there no problem, just dont expect a plush nice trip in. They do try to keep it graded so most of the time it is pretty decent.

If your really thinking on coming this way, please get ahold of me. I could show ya the best places to camp depending on the rig your bringing. Would be an honor to show you around them. I would also get ahold of some of the other guys that ride there. Batoutofhell that used to post here alot is in Rock Springs and the local dune rat Rick is usually always there and is probably the single best dune rider I have ever seen bar none. It would be a good time to see a some new faces out there that I have known for a long time on here.

As for everyone esle reading the magazine and thinking about making a trip, they are lieing to you, they suck, you dont want to ride them, stay home and have a BBQ. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]