CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Other then cost

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other then cost

Anyone able to explain in stupid terms (still learning) the differences between the RWR cams, and the HPR Cams?

Old 12-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Other then cost

No one have a response here??? Someone always has something to say

Old 12-29-2005, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Other then cost

This could be a heated topic. All I will tell you is this. First, I have never ran any RWR cams. Second, I think the web 109's are the best cheap cam out there period. Third, if you want that extra little bit, or if you are going to add nitrous or a turbo, getting a specific cam ground for that makes a huge difference.

Case in point, all motor, two of our machines, same setup, one with 109's, one with hpr 4 nitrous cams, basically even up the hill.
Same machines on nitrous, at least 5 lengths difference. I still have one machine with 109's in it, and they will stay right there.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:33 PM
amd
Pro Rider
Default Other then cost

As for specs on the hpr cams they will not give them out, due to copying. I do know when I had all my rollers ground for my cars they they give me every detail to what was done. If I am spending $400+ on some cams I sure would like to know the specs. But I guess that is how it goes. Hpr has supposedly (SP?) alot of time in cam design and I guess I cant blame them for not wanting to just give specs to anyone, but I think if you have purchased their cams they should give you the specs. Thats just me though, and who am I......

Old 12-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Other then cost

I am not trying to start anything on this, totally not my intention. I really want to know where to throw my money. If I am convinced the HPR cams are better for what I want, then that is where my cash goes. Do the special grinds make that big of a diference? And if the grind is done for your current setup, what happens when you change or add other parts? Should cams then be done more as the last thing you want (like that ever happens)? What ones are best for low and mid, with decent improvments on top? I am sure some have had both and have varing opinions, that is all I am looking for.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Other then cost

Ohhhh' quit trying to stir the pot Draggon [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Other then cost

Originally posted by: Topper
Ohhhh' quit trying to stir the pot Draggon [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Hey, for once I am actually trying to be nice.....Not working really well though

Old 12-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default Other then cost

Dj, do a search on the cams, we have had some awsome posts on the topic. If I was to spend my money again on cams, I would buy another setof HPR 4 cams. Still has alot of torque, but revs to the moon. I have HPR 5 nitrous cams in my machine now, but they give up bottom end to gain at the top. Now they are no slouch, and I still am not giving them enough air to really flow what they can. The 109's I mentioned are a great cam, good for most anything, but they have there limits, as do all cams. If you want a racer, go big, if you want a good duner that still can run the hill, 109's are great, and have heard the HPR 3 are good also. I dont know RW stuff, but believe Marky thought that his a1/a2 grind he had in his motor reved faster than the 109's, just didnt have the same top end.

AMD, I know where your coming from, I would like to know myself. But I wouldnt really know why its done the way it is, I mean I know what duration, lift and all the terminology is, just dont know why. The one thing I do know, is Referrals. My business is 85% referred business, so when everyone that has Hpr cams recommends them, and says there worth it, all of them cant be wrong. I stuck my neck out when I bought my first set, HPR 4 Nitrous cams, and until I seen the difference between them and the 109's on nitrous, I wouldnt have been a believer either.

If I was not going to run nitrous, the 109's are great. A good friend of mine, Dsaholic, runs a 109/110 combo, but will be swapping his 110 for a 109, and he runs nitrous. He knows the difference between the two, but the 109s are just that good everywhere else.

There is alot of people running RWR cams, and are very fast, so I dont think you can go wrong there. But be specific, if you want to drag race, geta big cam meant for doing that, or if you want a duner, get a cam for that. A good dune cam can still be a good racer, but most race cams are lazy down low. I still dune the heck out of my machine with the 5 cams, it just dont have the low end snap it once did.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Other then cost

That does help out some Viper. I am only a duner, and ride for the fun of riding. That is why I am not as concerned with the top end as I am with bottom and mids. I do enjoy the occasional hill drags and flat drags at the dunes with buddies, and want to really beat up on those Raps and YFZs eventually, but just all in fun. Are the 109s alright to run NOs on?

Old 12-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Other then cost

Oh heck yes. They still run good. Its just a different league when comparing them to the nitrous cams. On all motor they will run with just about any cam. The best part is you can find them for 230 bucks and if you dont want to, you really dont have to buy shim unders, so you save a ton there also.

Quick Reply: Other then cost