CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Just Dynoed Stock Bore on Alky!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 03:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Dynoed Stock Bore on Alky!!!

We just got done dynoing the Klug Racing DS that is pictured on Planet Sand in the Monorail frame. The motor is stock bore, stock stroke with the Klug race head and 14:1 compression. They run nitromethane at about 15% normally. This dyno run was with a 3% shot of NM only because the timing advance is jacked up to the point that it preignites on straight alcohol without a small amount of NM mixed in to slow the burn.

It ran 64 hp peaking at 7900 rpm. It was still making 50 hp at 9000 rpm! Torque peaked a touch over 50 and I can't remember at what rpm but the curve was very flat.

BTW, they are running web109's and a modified TM45 it is about a 47mm with an auxilery powerjet. Let me tell you, my eyes have never burned so bad and that was only at 3% NM.

The Monorail isn't a great drag chassis but it is the ultimate dune chassis so they will be moving the motor to a rigid chassis that is hoping to be well under 300 lbs. Currently they are weighing in at just over 300 lbs (since the Klug boys don't have all that extra gear the TVI Monorail is sporting.)

Ron

Old 12-29-2005, 03:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ron that is great to hear. Keep us posted as soon as you get some times on that beast. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The numbers aren't bad for a stock displacement. What I liked was how the motor made its power. Mine peaks at about 7000 and there is no reason at all to rev mine past about 8300.......ever. This one peaks close to 8000!!!! That says something about the porting. We are going to be opening up the powerjet (it was closed for this run) in increments and adding nitromethane to see how much power we can make.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

Where did you guys do the dynoing at? Sweethome? Im going to switch out my cams and want to do a little tuning.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

DSMIKE built a stock bore stock stroke stock valve motor on alcohol that made 80HP.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:06 PM
H
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ScoobyDFW
DSMIKE built a stock bore stock stroke stock valve motor on alcohol that made 80HP.
Man!! I'd love to see the sheet on that build. Puts every other builder on this site to shame.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ScoobyDFW
Yeah, I would love to see that as well. Im sure he was running dual carbs right?

Old 12-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It's all ron woods parts.

The DS loves a TON of compression and a LOT more timing (of course with mega flow carb & exhaust)

They bumped the compression up to 15:1 - shaving head possibly, not sure exactly how. Dual 39mm carbs. Some head work - polishing of bowl, etc. Drag pipe. Woods CDI and then +8 degrees of timing on top of that by modifying the location of the trigger pickup. Off the shelf .450" lift cams. Hotter spark plug - maybe projected reach also.

I rode with those guys many many times. The power was there.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Now this is very interesting as we all know the parts which are available today these bikes "should" be making way more power than claimed. Not to start a bashing session...just saying that if DSMike made that much horsepower with a stock bore on alky then some of the big names should be pulling some tremendous power out of these bigbores.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It was a high reving motor. Torque was only in lower 40's but it made a lot of high RPM power. It was excellent for flat drags. It lost on hill climbs due to the lack of torque compared to turbos or big bores.

I agree, the bigbores are capable of a lot more power. But every builder I've seen ops for maximizing low RPM torque instead of maximizing high RPM torque. Any drag racer will tell you it's high RPM torque/power that wins flat races - too a point that is, you can go to far. For flat drags, it's better to have a higher RPM motor than a motor with lower RPM but a slightly higher power peak. In other words get rid of the slight peak in power with corresponding drop in torque at high RPM and gain more upper RPM torque/power. The powerband of the 450's is a good example.

Quick Reply: Just Dynoed Stock Bore on Alky!!!