CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

just got bike dyno'ed after mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got bike dyno'ed after mods

"Are you sure you are looking at the right graphs? I see just the opposite...
Thanks
Randall"

First, I was comparing both graphs ran at different times/maybe operators/... and the first one seemed like it had better characteristics looking back and forth on 2 completely different graphs sized differently; and the second one was too light to see with my bifocals as 2 seperate lines until printed out.

Barely seeing and comparing the second one after printing out, they are identical within 1 hp to max hp, and then they both decline. Who cares which one declines slightly more, you should not run in that range rpm anyway if less hp and exceessive wear rpms for engine too. So for bigger carbs and high hp cam no visible difference from light fuzzy dyno graph up to max hp. It will take several more thousand dollars perhaps or a fuel assisted method which will deteriorate engine more rapidly. From the graphs speculation is all that could be favorably determined.

The bottom power range if clearer may indicate the previous package was better, but who knows, couldn't see graph lines shown? I was under the impression that hp head flows and high hp performance cams can offset each other, and its not always wise to do everything you can for high hp flows and high hp cams too, as one or the other may offer better performance.

In fact, his initial package seemed pretty optimimum to me, and as evidenced by upgrade comparison.

The HR3 cam seems interesting but its hard to spec in engine with other components without

1) cam lift,
2) duration at zero lash, and
3) construction: Iron regrinds, steel billets, or hardfaced alloy.

Without applicable information, it is not a candidate.

Thanks!

Old 03-22-2006, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

So between the cams and the carbs, the only difference was 1 to 1.5 HP, what kind of numbers could you get with the 730 kit and 13 to 1 piston?? (HP3 cams and the 46 carb) havent seen any Dynos on these big Bore kits yet.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Yep ERBE,

That's half the HR3 comparison.

But I'm interested in mild/moderate street cam and want to know the range of specs for all the HR cams HR3 and below.

Quick hawkish observation though ERBE. I've got it figured out to the cams, and German machine shop cam or nothing is qualified right now with specs.

Maybe we might see specs on HPR cams soon. I saw bright new stickers on each HPR web page today and some editing.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

oh, Ok, I had a copy emailed to me that was overlaid on top of each other
the 48 carb and HR4 cams were up 1 to 1.5hp from 5000rpm to 7500rpm, then 2-3-4-5 hp beyond 7500rpm. We typically run out past peak horsepower before shifting and especially on a hill shoot, so that starts making a big difference out there. Pleeeeaaase don't just look at peak hp- look at average hp and torque over a range of rpm- the sum is greater than a small part.

I still think it will get even better over a larger rpm range if the jetting was at least as good as the old combo (which wasn't optimum either).

Flyinds- since we're playing here- you ready to try another set of cams? We're still a little conservative on camshaft because of the stockish pipe and the "less expensive" cylinder head porting is doing a little better than I've seen in the past (obviously not 12hp, but still pretty good for what it is).

Old 03-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !

why are you running the stock pipe with all these mods?

Old 03-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

222 i think right i am going to stay put with what i got and run it for now. maybe put in a 730 kit next winter for what i got. goodsound. i just seeing what i can do with the stock exhaust.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

flyinds,

How do you like the hv48/HR4 compared to the hv46/HR3 combo? I don't know if you had the first ones in long enough to ride it other than getting dynoed, but the 46/3 combo would seem to have a more robust throttle range on lower end.

I hope you got to ride both for a while to make a good assessment. It was a good opportunity to make a good comparison riding.

Thanks!!

Old 05-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

what's the duration on those HPR3/4 cams, 247 degrees?

Old 05-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

Scooby they wont give the HPR cams specs out, Im betting they are just plain web cams

Old 05-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, I am sure they are sweeping every race they enter across the nation by just running plain old web cams from off the shelf.

Quick Reply: just got bike dyno'ed after mods