CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS 650 oil pressure light

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS 650 oil pressure light

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why my warning light stays on from start up on my 03 Baja. I assume it has nothing to do with water temp as the light stays on straight away after start up even when the engine coolent is still cold?
Must be something to do with oil pressure? I replaced the oil and filter and it still has not made any difference?

Old 01-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

did you bleed your system

Old 01-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

No, but it just started doing it between the last oil changes (not straight after the last oil change). Where do you bleed the oil system on a DS? (I did not get an owners manual when i bought the bike second hand.

Old 01-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

the bleeding srew is behind the oil filter,so you'll have to do another oil change.

Old 01-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I will give this a try. Is there a screen at the bottom of the oil tank also that I should check?

Old 01-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Did you wash it or ride through any water recently? They tend to short out if they get wet. Unplug it and see if the light goes out. If it does remove the sensor and crank it over and see if oil comes out the hole(don't start it just crank it with the run switch in the off position). If oil comes out it is most likely your sensor. I have been through alot of sensors and keep like 5 or 6 in the tool box.

Old 01-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

yes there is a screen,now when you do your oil changeempty the oil take out your oil filter fill the bike back up whit oil but don't put the filter in right away unscrew the bleeding screew but not all the way out turn your key on but leave your kill swicht off so the bike only turns over look at the hole beside the bleeding sreew and turn the bike over as soon as you see oil coming out of that hole your done sreew the bleeding sreew put your filter in check your oil level and your done if that does not help your oil pressure sensor is fried.

hope this helps,later.

Old 01-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

same here jmac always keep xtra sensor.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

That bleeding screw can be tough to break free. Be careful not to strip it. I have an 03 and bleed it everytime. Some say it is not necessary, though. I know the newer one's you don't have to.
Anyway, I use a BIG screwdriver that you can use a wrench on. If not, you could use Vise-Grips on the screwdriver to help turn it. I use my leg on the end of the screwdriver for pressure.
Before you put the oil in the tank, remember to check/clean that filter. It is in the hose next to the oil drain.
Also as JMAC says, if you got the sensor wet, you could have problems. I would imagine if the light goes off, it is not fried. Take the boot off and make sure everything is dry. Use some silicone to seal it. The 03's don't have the upgraded boot.

Old 01-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone. It sounds like my oil pressure sensor could be stuffed. And yes I have had the bike through quite a bit of water lately so it could have shorted. I will order a couple of these sensors (one to replace the old one and one spare), clean the screen at the bottom of the oil tank and bleed the oil system and see if all this helps. Thanks heaps for the advise I am sure you guys have hit the nail on the head with my problem. I will let you know though in a couple of days when my new sensors turn up if it is working properly again. Thanks heaps.

Quick Reply: DS 650 oil pressure light