CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

could it be again ..already!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could it be again ..already!!!

here is the deal...drove my DS onto the trailer and drove about 2 hrs, when i arrived i unloaded the ds and tried to start it and dead...dead..dead.. tried it and click,click.click --nothing...

i was confused cause i had just drove it onto the trailer a few hrs before and now nothing...i had recently replaced my regulator about 6months ago along with my battery,so i am not thinking that...

here is what happened next...i jump it and it starts, the tach light is on until i put the lights on low the tach goes off and when i put the hi beams on the tach stays on...also with the lights off the fan funs strong and low beams on it runs week and hi beams on very week...if i shut it off it wont start again..click,click,click

its my reg/rec again isnt it?
could a cdi cause any of this?

Old 01-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like reg/rec because it is not maintaining voltage, when you put a draw on it, the power is dropping.

Was the Ds running well when you drove it onto the trailer?
Did you just replace CDI? Or why are you inquiring about that?

Good luck, I hope it is easy fix.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

i am not sure how it was running when i loaded it, i started it and drove on and turned it off..it was raining out that day..maybe something could of got wet,but the next day it still was acting up...

i still have my stock cdi.. i was just trying to think it thru cause i replaced the reg and battery a few months back and it is happening again.. there has to be a reason why i went thru 2 reg(1 stock and 1 aftermarket) within a yr..

could a cdi do this? there has to be a reason why they keep frying!

Old 01-03-2006, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

I would guess a short to ground somewhere....

Old 01-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

how do i search for a short

Old 01-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

If your regulator fried it can short in the on posistion and that will be a short on its own. The cdi and the regulator both are amperage sensative and if you run you bike low on voltage to many times it will knock either one out.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

az,

can you explain a little more for the mechanically SLOW...i dont know what to do!

should i change the cdi along with the reg, get a new reg and see what happens..

i am unclear on the next step, it seems like this may just keep om happeneing every few months.. could it be a bad reg? it was procomm!

Old 01-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

Chris, Your nightmare is just beginning. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expect a different result. You need to find out what is causing these parts to fail. Just replacing them isnt fixing the problem.

Do you know how to read schematics? If so, get a manual and start studying them. Get yourself a tester and start eliminating circuts till you find one that is not working properly. In doing so you will porbably come across the problem by seeing burn marks on a wire or connector. The thing with shorts is, you have to take your time and be patient. What AZ said is a good place to start and will make since once you look at a schematic.

Unfortunatly you probably will need new parts yet again but dont plug em in till you have traced and eliminated everything you can think of.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

have no idea how to read schematics or anyhing like that....

Old 01-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

how and were do i find schematics and read them?

maybe the reg just went bad..it is procomm