CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

could it be again ..already!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could it be again ..already!!!

What kind (brand) of battery?
Have you tried to charge it and, if so, does it take and hold a charge?
I have heard many a battery fail as yours did, even when new. Its easy to check and would be a logical starting point.

Other then a battery problem, I think your lack of troubleshooting and testing ability will leave you at the mercy of a mechanic.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

its a sunn battery and only 6 months old.....the strange thing is it started and ran then 2 hours later it was dead....

Old 01-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

Chris, take the battery to your local Auto parts store, I am sure they can test it for you.
If you do have a bad battery I recommend the Odyssey PC545, I have used that battery in both my DS and Harley......great battery, do a search on it here and other froum member say the same.

The auto part store may also be able to test the rectifier??
I can tell you that many on the forum will not recomment Procomm, especially the CDI's have caused some other damages when used.

Hope the info you have got helps, if not keep asking many good minds (allot better than mine!) on this site.

Good luck.
Chuck

Old 01-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

thats the battery i have, and i would never buy procomm cdi but heard good things about there reg so i grabbed one...

i am screwed, no were to turn ...i dont have enough expereince for this type of problem, i have alreay had it to the dealer 2 times for this under warranty and they found nothing!!!!

i am getting a yamaha...LOL

i called procom and told them it fried, they havent called me yet...i am going to put the new reg in and keep it on a tender and see what happens, maybe pick up a vortex cdi also..if it happens again i will sell it! it is getting to frustrating

Old 01-04-2006, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

Chris, dont beat yourself up man. It's not that bad. Think of electricity in ummmmmm a bumping uglies kind of way. The little swimers have to get from point A to point B to do there job to make future DS riders. The problem is the little fellas sometimes take a wrong turn and not make it to point B. Well Elec. has to do the same thing, it goes from point A to point B. in going from point A to B the elec. has the ability to turn things on or make them work. If there is a problem in its path it goes the wrong direction and finds itself a ground.

Thinking of it like this, all you need to do is get a Fluke type tester and test for resistance in Ohms. You put one lead one the pins in a plug and the other on a good grounding point. By using the schematics, which is basically follow the line from point A to point B you can see what wires control what components and when you find one that isnt acting the same as the others or showing a closed circut ( meaning 0 Ohms or very low number) when it should be showing an open circut you have found your circut with the short. Talk to your friends, one is bound to know how to test a circut and read a schematic. have them show you. Once you see it done, I bet you can find it and will be suprised to see that is much easier, although time consuming, than you thought.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:22 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Chris. I had some of the same problems. I bought a Odyssey PC545 and it still went dead. The problem ended up being that I was charging the battery with a 2 volt trickle charger. Odyssey batteries have to be charged with 8 volts. Because I was using a 2 volt charger it was not fully charging the battery leaving me stranded out on the trail. I bought the correct charger and now leave it on my bike while it sits in the garage. Haven't had a problem since. As far as Procom goes I'm done with them. Their CDI ended up costing me over $500.00 dollars in engine repairs. I ordered one of their rectifiers and it was dead on arrival.

Hope this helps, D

Old 01-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

i was told 12 volt for the ds, is the sun battery different than the stock one voltage wise

i have the 545 battery, i bet the reg fried from procomm

Old 01-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

I have the same battery you do. Yes the battery is 12 volts but you are to charge it with a charger that puts out 6 to 8 amps. Also the 545 Odyssey battery is a AGM battery and should be charged by the right charger. You will definitely have to get your battery charged up and test to see if you are charging and most important that when you rev the motor your volt meter does not over charge the battery. If you do a search on battery you should be able to find the numbers you need to test and see if you battery is getting a charge and if the rectifier is doing its job. If the rectifier is bad I'm sure Procom will exchange it for just the shipping cost. But in the future I would stay away from Procom.

I purchased a battery charger from:

http://www.donrowe.com/battery_charg...ychargers.html

It works great and you can leave it on the battery as it monitors it and keeps it charged using 8 amps and it even has a digital display. For $89.95 you cant go wrong. Its made for all batteries and does AGM which is what the Odyssey batteries are.
Good luck and let us know how you make out. D

Old 01-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

Good info Mrneg9, I was unaware that the battery had to be charged at 8 volts.
Thanks!

Old 01-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

Odyssey batteries have to be charged with 8 volts. Because I was using a 2 volt charger
Good info Mrneg9, I was unaware that the battery had to be charged at 8 volts.
Volts is the wrong term...should be Amps! A 12 volt battery charger will always charge at ~13 volts but the amperage will very.
As Mrneg9 suggested, charge the battery or have it charged and tested at the auto parts store. Once you can absolutely rule out the battery then do a test of the charging system.
Use a D/C volt meter on the 20 volt position and connect it to the battery posts.
Start the engine and slowly raise the throttle while watching the meter.
Once started and just above idle the meter should read around 13.5 volts. It should stay in that range and not to exceed 14.5 volts at any time. If it goes over 14.5 volts, your regulator is junk.
I explained the other charging system tests in another thread, if you do a search for 'stator" I think you will find it.
As Demon suggested....errr....no not the swimmers making little DSs part.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] the part about finding a buddy with a meter and some basic knowledge of how to work it , to lend a hand.