CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

02 Sensor Tech Talk

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Sensor Tech Talk

One of the biggest problems with 02 Sensors is the perception of what they can and can’t do. Older sensors were of the narrowband variety and were used in the automotive industry years ago when the auto manufacturers were all moving away from leaded fuels. So, naturally the perception is that ALL 02 sensors are the cheaper narrowband type, with low or no tolerance to leaded fuels.

It’s 2006, and wideband 02 sensors are breaking the leaded fuel perception of old. The newer sensors are heated, and can tolerate leaded fuels up to 500 hours of riding time. That’s HUGE! Certainly at least an entire season! After that, only the sensor itself needs to be replaced, without the need to replace the entire unit, gauge and electronics.

02 Sensors are the very best way to tune your motor. Quite simply it measures the ratio of air to fuel, with air numbers usually being displayed. More air displayed, bigger number, the more lean it is. Lower number displayed, the less air, the more rich it is. Now isn’t that what everyone is wants?

According to the magazines, 14.7 is the target number for most applications. However, your motor may run better at slightly higher numbers (leaner) or lower numbers (richer). According to Snow West magazine Volume 33 Number 1, “For gasoline driven engines, the theoretically optimal air/fuel ratio is 14.7 lbs of air for every pound of fuel”. “At this ratio, theoretically, all available oxygen in the air combines with all available fuel”. “This ratio is called the stoichiometric ratio and the value is 14.7 (it takes 14.7 parts of air to combine with 1 part of gasoline.)”

Wideband 02 sensors kits are a very good tool to tune your motor, exhaust and even nitrous system. And yes, they even work on 2 stroke motors.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

Im guessing you started this thread due to the TM45 vs Lectron vs KMS EFI Thread. Im curious as to why is Boondockers O2 sensor and gauge setup last that long and KMS fuel injection systems dont. On race fuel Don couldnt even get his turbo bike to run, it kept killing the sensor. He finally just went to Alky which came with its own set of problems. (mapping). Now does the octane level have more lead content as you move up in octane? My understanding is the highest octane you can get unleaded is 105. I need 114 and possibly 117 when I move up to a 30 shot. At 75 bucks a pop for a sensor that can get real spendy real fast if they cant handle the lead content. Im real interested in the EFI setup it would be really nice to be able to switch between alky and race fuel quickly and easily. But not if im going to be changing sensor all the time.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

I started it because of all the misinformation regarding 02 sensors. While it is true that Boon carries them, they do not make them. Hopefully, everyone will do a little research and find out about the 02 sensor revolution, especially in the wideband area.

I dont know what kind of sensor that is on Don's quad. For sleds, EFI is NOT controlled by a sensor. The Raptor 700R is NOT controlled by a Sensor. Most EFI in the ATV and Sled worlds are simply programs to be manually manipulated with sensors that only adjust for the elevation. Its very refreshing to know that the digital wideband 02 sensors are simply a TOOL for riders and builders to use to determine what the carb, efi and N20 levels should be at. EGTs are dead! Remember, the sensor will last at least an entire riding season. Then, all that has to be replaced is the sensor part, all the brains, gauge, and cables are still good.

Those sensors that AUTOMATICALLY adjust the EFI, are NARROWBAND sensors - thats a totally different type of sensor with a different tollerance to Leaded fuels.

Old 01-04-2006, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrolThose sensors that AUTOMATICALLY adjust the EFI, are NARROWBAND sensors - thats a totally different type of sensor with a different tollerance to Leaded fuels.
The KMS ECU gets input from a few sensors to adjust the A/F ratio. My O2 sensor is a wideband sensor made by Bosch. When my O2 sensor failed, so did my engine, so its obvious the ECU program relies heavily on the wideband O2 sensor. Also just wanted to point out that the cause of the O2 sensor failure may or may not be due to the leaded fuel.

I checked out Innovate motorsports website, they sell a replacement O2 sensor, its Bosch LSU4.2 5-wire, wide-band O2 sensor. While I don't have a part # for my KMS O2 sensor it sure looks the same as the one in the picture and it is also made by Bosch and has 5 wires.

Old 01-04-2006, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

ODP,

Catch me on yahoo one of these days, I would like to talk to you about this more.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:30 AM
Pro Rider

ODP what kit would you recommend us to use?

Old 01-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sandaholic
Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrolThose sensors that AUTOMATICALLY adjust the EFI, are NARROWBAND sensors - thats a totally different type of sensor with a different tollerance to Leaded fuels.
The KMS ECU gets input from a few sensors to adjust the A/F ratio. My O2 sensor is a wideband sensor made by Bosch. When my O2 sensor failed, so did my engine, so its obvious the ECU program relies heavily on the wideband O2 sensor. Also just wanted to point out that the cause of the O2 sensor failure may or may not be due to the leaded fuel.

I checked out Innovate motorsports website, they sell a replacement O2 sensor, its Bosch LSU4.2 5-wire, wide-band O2 sensor. While I don't have a part # for my KMS O2 sensor it sure looks the same as the one in the picture and it is also made by Bosch and has 5 wires.

Sand,

I have no idea why your sensor failed. But lets understand one thing, 02 sensors and leaded fuel mix just fine. Yes, you will eventually have to replace the sensor and they are rated at 50 to 500 hours for 4 stroke with leaded fuel. You get more hours if you run unleaded. But even at 50, thats a long time when it comes to riding time on your quad. We're not talking sensors for non-stop, long hour duration automotive use. Besides, the sensor can be replaced. Whats more, this is different than your set up. When the sensor fails, the display is completely wack. But, since its not controlling your engine functions, there is no harm. Im talking about a tool to help folks tune thier engine, not run it.

The Innovate Motorsports Gauge kit does utilize the Bosch LSU-4.2 five wire sensor - Its widely regarded as the most accurate and durable A/F sensor for both 2 cycle and 4 cycle engines. Its that sensor, coupled with the digital meter that makes this system the way to go for the outdoor motorsports gear heads. I have no idea what sensor you had on your quad. But, I believe standalone units are the way to go for most ATV guys.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scatterbrain
Im guessing you started this thread due to the TM45 vs Lectron vs KMS EFI Thread. Im curious as to why is Boondockers O2 sensor and gauge setup last that long and KMS fuel injection systems dont. On race fuel Don couldnt even get his turbo bike to run, it kept killing the sensor. He finally just went to Alky which came with its own set of problems. (mapping). Now does the octane level have more lead content as you move up in octane? My understanding is the highest octane you can get unleaded is 105. I need 114 and possibly 117 when I move up to a 30 shot. At 75 bucks a pop for a sensor that can get real spendy real fast if they cant handle the lead content. Im real interested in the EFI setup it would be really nice to be able to switch between alky and race fuel quickly and easily. But not if im going to be changing sensor all the time.
All I know is that these innovate motorsports 02 sensors are rated between 50 and 500 hours of 4 stroke hours with leaded fuels. I know they work because I see them used everyday on 110 octane sleds running turbos. And they last a heck of a lot longer than 50 hours. The sensor part is actually made to replace easily. The cableing, wiring and digital gauge remain. So, when the sensor goes wack, you replace only that part. Some people might think thats expensive, but how much dyno time does it cost to tune your motor with an exhaust sniffer? All I am saying is that folks have the ability to have similar results, all the time, at a fraction of the cost. I realize its a change of perception for a lot of folks. But from where Im sitting, seeing how the sled heads deal with this problem, its only perception. Besides, these 02 sensors dont control anything, you do.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: dabomb03
ODP what kit would you recommend us to use?
I would recommend any of the Innovate Motorsports standalone LC-1 gauge kits. The one I am getting is Part Number 3765. On the Innovate Motorsports website, it sells for $399.00.

You can put the thing anywhere because its only .750" thick. After they become popular, some billet guy is going to make a gauge holder for this that mounts right up to the bar clamp. Im out of that business, but some other smart guy will figure that out besides me.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DemonDS
ODP,

Catch me on yahoo one of these days, I would like to talk to you about this more.
I'll make sure and be on all day ... Yahoo ID: marky_nark

Quick Reply: 02 Sensor Tech Talk