CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

CDI

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDI

Exactly what is a cdi? I see this mentioned a lot. How does it either help or hinder performance. What do the letters stand for? Is this something I should put on my ds?
Thanks!

Old 01-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default CDI

CDI stands for Capacitive Discharge Ignition, a technique for ignition that uses a capacitor bank to store a charge and then "dumps" the energy to fire the plug at a specific time. Most people refer to an ATV's Igniter as a "CDI" when in reality it is a small computer that does more than just the ignition function. Generally, going to an aftermarket igniter will give you a more aggressive timing curve and offer a higher RPM limit than the stock unit. This may give you better throttle response, acceleration, and more top end.

I am not familiar with the DS versions so someone else will have to help you with that.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default CDI

Chouser do a search on CDI's and you will find enough reading material to keep you busy for a long time.
Many to choose from that perform differently. For example, the Ron Woods CDI eliminates your rev limit. Some still have rev limit, but increase it by 1000 rpm. Others are programmable meaning they can be programmed to perform to different needs for the rider.

Everyone has their likes and dislikes, the only advice I would give would be to stay away from the Procom. As you read the searched you will see why.

Happy reading!

Old 01-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default CDI

As we mentioned in another post, your money would be better spent on other mods before a CDI. Like cpaul said look up some old post about it.