CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS "Z440"

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS "Z440"

Been doing some work on the Z400's. Built quite a few now, but the latest version has some kin to the my HPR DS730.

The latest version of the Z that I've built is a 440 big bore. Pretty nice little package in that the kit is an entire jug, piston, rings, gasket and pin. No big deal right? Well the Z now feels more like a two stroke than a four stroke. It's running 12.3:1 and after cams is able to run all day in the dunes on 92 octane. Still no big deal right?

Well it does share a some kin to my HPR DS730 in the carb department. It has a (one of the first in the country on a Z400) Lectron HV44 strapped on to it. The stock carb is very small, I think it's a 37mm if I'm not mistaken. For most of the guys in the 400 - 450 class, the carb of choice has mostly been an Edlebrock. Many have told of difficulty tuning and keeping it tuned. I knew there had to be a better way to go. I knew that the boys over at HPR were up to the task, so they put together one heck of a 44. Complete with dual power jets, extra idle circuit, the 90* deluxe cable and of course the best service around. After about 5 minutes of jetting and a quick call to HPR, the 440 is running hard!!!!

The bike was about two lengths in back of the piped, jetted and filtered YFZ's and similar TRX's. The HPR LECTRON 44 has put our little project about 3 - 4 lengths in front. A Piped and re-mapped EFI raptor was dead even. All the testing took place at Dumont today, and needless to say that the owner was extremely happy. He couldn't thank me enough. He was considering ditching the Z until I told him that he had an option. After the BigBore and the carb.... he's smiling once again. Will it beat the mighty HPR 730 DS..... maybe with me on it. I'll just have to keep close to the button.

The Lectron required a bit of customizing on the intake and on the intake boot, and of course you'll need the billet throttle, but once strapped on. Boy, did this little beauty come alive. If you have any questions on what exactly is in needed and the specs of the Z, please PM me and I'll let you know what was done.

For those that would like to know about the 44. ABSOLUTELY NO STUCK SHUT, and a very easy pull.

Thanks again HPR. The DS Z440 is ALIVE!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2006, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default DS "Z440"

Thats great bigdaddy, It's awesome to see the hpr guys helpng us out when it's not even a ds!

Do you a bike shop? I'm asking because thats what it seemed from reading or post.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default DS "Z440"

I don't own a shop, however I do a LOT of work in my garage. Truth be told, I should probably have business lic. There isn't a weekend that there isn't something on my lift.

This week it was a DS90 for a full clutch and carb R&R. That went out, and now there is a Polaris Scrambler 500 on it, for port work, exhasut work and a new throttle. I believe that next week will be a Custom chopper with an S&S motor. It needs needs head gaskets, a clutch, and probably a valve job. It's had quite a few DS's on it, including Mario's, Big P's, The Duece and a few others. I can't count how many Z's I've built, probably a couple of handfulls.

This is pretty easy stuff compared to what I used to wrench on, I actually enjoy the wrench part as much as the riding part. Sick huh?

Mario says that my little hop is more big league than any of the dealer shops in town. Neighbor and I are going to start powder coating in the next month. That should be a hoot!!!!

Old 01-08-2006, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default DS "Z440"

that sounds sick!!!!!! i've been thinking 440 but also leaning towards 434 athens kit. i'm trying to do my research before i buy one. do you have any input on either? did have stage 2 cams? what year was the z?

Old 01-08-2006, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default DS "Z440"

You sound like you have a good time on the weekends wether it's riding or wrenching. I'm the same way I love working on my toys specially when there are no surprises, but that's like never. I also end up working on my friends quads and trucks too. I just can't stand there and watch someone I get right in there and soon enough I'm doing it all.

I wish there was a guy like you around my way, all but one dealership is worthless and please don't get started on the Bomb dealership[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Let me know when you get you powder coating started because i may have almost a whole bike that needs some paint. But i'm not really worrying about that until i finish my motor. I haven't been able to find a good business to do it around here, but i have found a place that says they do it but then just use regular paint. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I also forgot to say i'm seriously thinking about going and reserving the new ltz 450. That thing is gonna be sick! But then i really want a bomb 800 too. Choices Choices

Old 01-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS "Z440"

King, this last one was an 03. For the money, I really like the Athena kit. Very solid and the bore is dead on straight. Very much like the HPR730. Obviously the piston isn't anywhere near as trick, but the package as a whole is very nice. There is a lot of potential in these little motors and when combined with a medium rider and the quads being fairly light on the scales, they move up the hill pretty well. I do think that the big bore is the only upgrade I'd do on the 400's. A piston is nice, but the big bore package REALLY makes the difference. Combined with the HPR Lectron HV44, I'm not sure that you can put a better package together.

Good luck

Old 01-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Default DS "Z440"

Let us all know when you're set up for powder coating. I'm sure we can fill all of your open weekends.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I have two to be done and hopefully a third by the time you get everything in place. Now if CrazyPainter were closer I could get two birds with one stone. Have some ideas for plastics that would go well with the frame colors.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS "Z440"

Mike,

that's not that White Z400 that I rode is it? That thing was peppy when I took her for a spin. I really like the Z400s... I think they have an awsome powerband and are very nimble. Only thing is I hear thier frames tend to crack easy. The guy we rented from who now only has 400 EXes said that the frames were always bending up.

Your making me want to ditch the idea of getting a 450R in the future and getting Z.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS "Z440"

Originally posted by: aceisback
Let us all know when you're set up for powder coating. I'm sure we can fill all of your open weekends.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I have two to be done and hopefully a third by the time you get everything in place. Now if CrazyPainter were closer I could get two birds with one stone. Have some ideas for plastics that would go well with the frame colors.
UPS comes to Iowa[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-09-2006, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default DS "Z440"

talked to my neighbor tonight, and the powder coating stage should be up and running in the next couple of months.

Yea, Entomber... that's the same bike. You should ride it now. Pretty sick. Yes, in race conditions the frams started to show signs around the front upper shock mounts. Once they started to go, the bottoms of the frames on the same structure started to go. Thus, most including GUST put a series of 6 gussets in the frame. The new 450 Quadracer should be the beans for those who are going racing. For the duners, man, I just don't think you can get a more comfortable bike than the Z's. After 1500 in mods, the thing is probably one of the nicest set ups I've ridden. Of course, with the exception of the BigDaddy HPR DS 730 Donut. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Nice to see you around these parts Entomber.