CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Not to maintenance friendly

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not to maintenance friendly

Anyone ever have to change out the light bulbs. Bomb sure didn't make that to user friendly. How about changing the oil, pain in the butt too, especially on a X model. If you can do the oil and filter change without making a big oil stain, your a better mech. than me. Any good tips out there?

Old 01-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Look into the Fram SureDrain. It is a small valve made for oil plugs. It makes oil changes painless. It lets you connect a tube to the drain outlet so you can then route that to a oil pan. You can pick one up at any auto parts store. You will need a reducer. I think the OD was 3/8 npt and the inside is 1/8 npt. I got the SureDrain that said 1/2 in. It didn't seem like 1/2 inch, it was more like 1/4. I tapped it to the correct size fop the SureDrain I had. Whole thing cost me like $15.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh yeah, sounds like a good idea. I have something like that by Fumoto for my Tacoma.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

here's what I do:

First I do not ever bother disconnecting the oil line between the tank and motor like the manual states, the bomb holds a gallon of oil and leaving a few ounces in that hose is of no consequence at all.

Second I drain the oil tank - position a long transmission funnel right under the drain plug, having it go thru the frame work and a-arms into an oil pan under the front of the bike. mess free and painless. I installed a 1/4"npt stainless ball valve from hardware store here for $6 so I can meter the draining to keep from overflowing the funnel faster than it runs out the other end. see a picture of this in my gallery at the link in my signature.

3rd I drain the motor, easy enough of course, don't know about the X's alum skid plate but my racer's plastic skid hole lines right up perfect. don't lose the alum washer on the drain plug, sometimes it sticks to the motor or falls into your pan.

Fourth, after putting all the plugs back in when draining is complete, I weave a folded rag tight under the filter cover, then remove the cover and the oil that dribbles out goes right on the rag. I took the exhaust shield off first, to make getting the filter cover screws easier. wipe it out, inspect the o-ring, reinstall with new filter.

never a drop on the floor this way. if I got a little residue around the filter cover, I go out to the driveway with the bike, and hose it down a little with brake cleaner, looks good as new. this helps keep sludge from accumulating on the ground wire connection for the stator, postioned down below the filter cover kinda outa sight.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great tip. thanks

Old 01-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

I'll get some pics up of my set up.... I actually installed a valve coming out of the oil tank. Your tank has a plug in one of the holes. Get a small ball valve and some hose, run the ball valve and hose straight through the lower whole in the frame. EASY as pie. I'll get up some pics next week. My Digital cam is at work.

The only messy part is the oil filter change. That is a mess, but simply make sure you have lots of brake cleaner. I use it for just about all my work on all the machines. Drain every thing else first, then do the filter last. Have the new one ready to go in, and bing-bang-boom.... the cover is on and the oil spill is concentrated and dripping into the pan that you've positioned perfectly. Start sprayin' and wipe - DONE! Not that hard really.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

I have been using Hightower's method a transmisson funnel to a laundry detergent jug...works great......no spills[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dam good tip, thanks.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

I agree, thanks so much.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

milasman,

You know I just did the best oil change ever.
Did not spill a drop ! this time. The previous ones were a 1 gallon disaster !
I ended using an old tube out of a christmas paper roll of all things.
Cut it in half stuck it down to the oil pan and cracked the nut and let er flow !
It worked great...
It was free and keep the tube for the next time.
Light bulbs ... Ya kind of a pain I hear you on that but the replacements are nice and bright blue.
Your from OceanSide ... hey I am in Lakeside ... lets meet up for a trip to Say Gordons or butter cup some time !
I love embarasing my Craptor Friend !

Quick Reply: Not to maintenance friendly