CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Not to maintenance friendly

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not to maintenance friendly

Every time I see one of these threads I get flashbacks to the first oil change on the ds. Needless to say it was a horror story. I actually changed it out at a buddies house (in a nice heated floor garage) their dad had an older DS so they were just helping me out a bit. I think I ended up with a couple of funnels, but at the end of it, I had 75% of the oil on the floor, the rest was on me, the quad and a very small amount in the pan! Just couldnt control the flow and then funnels moved..ugh what a pita! O well it was thanks to this forum I have tried a few different methods and HT's idea is the best ive tried to date.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the great tips. I hope I didn't bring back bad flashbacks from that first oil change. I know I ended up making a pretty good size mess, tried the transmission funnel and it just gushed out quicker than it could handle. Kinda funny to think about now, but at the time I wasn't to happy.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

ILivSD:

Yea, I live up in Oceanside and yea no problem about riding some time. I am laid up right now, got bounced off my DS out in Ocotillo Wells last Sat. and Sun. riding on one of the trails out by the gas domes. It was my own stupid fault, I wasn't familiar with the trail and it looked smooth to me. I just didn't see this drop off in time to stop, so when in doubt, thottle out, anyways, I made the jump over it, but hit so hard that it bounced me up in the air. I tried to push myself back on and almost made it except for another spot of rough terrain. Once I hit that, it sent me over the balanced position I had above the handle bars. I went off the front of the bike and twisted both my kneees pretty good. Hopefully, I just sprained them real good and no serious muscle or tendon damage. X-rays showed my bones intact no problem, but the swelling was to great for the Doc to tell anything else. Right knee took the worst of it, left knee should be fine in another day or so. It would be great to have someone to ride with and show me around some other areas.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

Hey mailasman,

Man reall bummer to hear about your Crash at Rocktillo wells ...
Ya, my first trip out there I flipped my ds over trying one of those hills over at Shell Reef.
I kind of gave up that place as it seemed every trip some one got hurt or some thing got broke in a crash. Just too damm rocky.
So it was Sand Dunes all the way from then on. Heck we are only 1hr and 40 minutes away ...
I may be going out to Gordons / Butter Cup next weekend ... don't know for sure yet ! but shoot me your e-mail and I will let you know. Got to get some more DS's out there representin ... so to speak...
Last trip out I keep beating my Craptor friend so bad it just got boaring....be great to get some new blood going with us.
my e-mail is
guilbeaux@***.net

Get well and go easy on the pain meds .

-Later