CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New Big Gun rectifier?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Big Gun rectifier?

I am new to the forum and love the DS what a comfortable stock ride. Any way I am looking at all bolt on mods for HP increases. Has any one have information (good/bad) on the new rectifier by Big Gun claiming 8% HP increase?

Old 01-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forumTalleric64.
You know, I have seen these claims before by other rectifier makers and all I can say is you have to consider the the vailidity of their claim when you're not sure weather to trust the company overall. In this case its a company that claims to add 3.5 HP (8%) by somehow manipulating the charging system. Now I'm electrically knowledgeable in this capacity and I can see where the charging system can pull 3.5 hp from the engine when you have 280 watts on tap however, if you are drawing the wattage then it makes sense that you need the wattage and you do not want the rectifier to interfere with it.
I'm picturing a night ride with the KCs lighting the trail at 60 mph when all the sudden ...Darkness!!!! Thank you big gun, I really didn't care where I was going anyway. But wait a minute...WoW...was that a 8% hp surge I felt there?

So, other then preventing the charging system from tapping horsepower to create wattage, how can this super rectifier make 8% more hp. I suppose I should ask the guys at Big Gun this question but thats just not going to happen. Now that I have bent your ear with what is probably more then you you wanted to hear, I will let you make a decision.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

JSsDS,

You think just like me................... except you're a lot smarter![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

There has to be a trade off.

Ron[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks JsDS for the feedback, I kinda of had similar thoughts, because the claim is when the battery is charged, the system switches over so 100% of the spark goes directly to the plug to create a hotter, better burn. I would only see this possibly working as claimed in a controlled enviornment with a new battery. Get the KCs, HID and whatever else all going maxing out the stock stator and do think the battery is ever fully charged to allow for thier fame to claim to happen.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

The "hotter spark theory crossed my mind but, in my opinion, I could not understand how a company figure head could even force himself to print such a rediculous notion and jeopardize their reputation in the name of profit. The funny part is that there are people who believe it and quickly go out and buy the stator on these claims alone. You were smart to see through it and ask questions.
The DS ignition system is nothing special, the coils are what they are and can not be made better by increasing or improving the system voltage. They run on 13 - 14.5 volts and put out reasonable spark. The fact that there are two plugs in the head make it very efficient system in terms of complete burn, a hotter spark isnt going to make a noticable hP difference especially on a stock or mildly modded engine. If I am off base here then please somebody set me straight.

DSNut,
If I give you my wife's phone # would you mind telling her that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JSsDS
DSNut, If I give you my wife's phone # would you mind telling her that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Oh no, that is playing with fire [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No kidding! Just because you're smarter than me doesn't by any stretch make you bright![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

LOL!

Ron

Old 01-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

guys,

i bought procomms hi performance reg when my stock oneburned upjust cause i thought it would be better than stock and not burn up.....well guess what! it did last week, they just sent me a new one and will try that...

oh yeah were am i going with this....it didnt do $hit for hp and it left me stranded....dam procomm! cdi's amd reg

Old 01-14-2006, 02:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just to clarify Chirochris's real life experience with these things.........

Since Procom makes the CDI's for Big Gun, maybe Procom makes their rectifiers to???

I would assume that anyway.

Ron

Old 01-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

yup thanks

this is true

Quick Reply: New Big Gun rectifier?