CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Sprag Clutch change..now won't start??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprag Clutch change..now won't start??

I just changed out my sprag clutch tonight..put everything back together, but now it won't fire. I know when the battery is alittle low, somethimes they don't start..its on the charger right now. Is there anything I could have done when putting her back together that would cause it to not fire. The starter turns over the motor, but it just won't fire. Carb settings should be ok..it was starting great 2-3 weeks ago..except for the sprag noise...Any ideas..am I missing the obvious??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2006, 12:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

if it can turn the starter its got enough juice to run...I've pushes started my bike before and ran fine after running down the battery leaving the lights on.

the trigger coil that signals the cdi is under there where you were working, if you are certain there is no spark this would be my first guess.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

I take it its actually turning the engine over? If it isnt (but sounds like it is) you probably put the washer on the wrong shaft. When I did mine I accidentally put a washer on the upper gear post shaft, and it was supposed to be on the lower (i think) so when I tightened it up, it put pressure on the gear and didnt let the starter crank it.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

If the bike turns over you probably put it back correctly. Thats funny because when I replaced my sprag clutch I had the same problem. It would not start. I couldnt figure it out at first. It ended up I had to charge the battery. That was all the problem. I hope its the same out come for you. Later, D

Old 01-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, the bike turns over so I'm pretty sure it was put together correct. After all night on the charger, it still won't fire this morning..haven't checked for spark yet.

Hightower, if there is no spark, you think it could be the trigger coil...? What about the cdi. I'm back to the stock cdi, but I do have a aftermarket (Pro-Comm) I think that I could try.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

Update..well sorta..

We pulled the outside plug wire, put in a new spark plug and I am getting spark. Went ahead and changed both plugs, hoping that this might be all it was..still no start??

One thing I do remember as we were putting the flywheel back on..when I was lining up the grove with the flywheel key, it was alittle tough to get seated and the key was loose. I'm pretty sure the key is supposed to be loose, but what if somehow the key popped out or is out of position. My guess is that if the key wasn't in there, the starter won't even turn the motor over..Any Suggestions..

Could it be a bad CDI or trigger coil as Hightower mentioned..how do I check any other electrical stuff...Keep in mind, all was running great before I made this repair

Help..anyone!!!

PS..carb is getting fuel..air filter just cleaned.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:05 AM
Pro Rider

Anyone?? b

Old 01-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

When you pulled the starter sprag, did you pull the whole flywheel and hub apart?? if so your probably out of time on the pick up. With the piston at top dead center the pick up should be just past the pick up. I belive to the front side of the bike.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree, if the bike ran fine prior to taking apart, then the problem is most likely in the area you worked on, rather than the CDI. since you are getting spark on your plugs as you visually confirmed, then the trigger coil was most likely not damaged during your work, so I would guess timing as THEBOM suggests.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: THEBOM
When you pulled the starter sprag, did you pull the whole flywheel and hub apart?? if so your probably out of time on the pick up. With the piston at top dead center the pick up should be just past the pick up. I belive to the front side of the bike.
THEBOM beat me to it, I was going to suggest the same thing, it sounds like you are getting spark just at the wrong time. It is an easy mistake to make if you don't mark everything when you take it apart.

Quick Reply: Sprag Clutch change..now won't start??