CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Who to have Port Your head???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who to have Port Your head???

222 you are now in a market I understand with your examples [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] BTW, when talking computers it is the only time I would say you don't want HP [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Just my .02 there.

As for the other portion, that is what myself and many others have got to deside.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DragonDJ11
222 you are now in a market I understand with your examples [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] BTW, when talking computers it is the only time I would say you don't want HP [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Just my .02 there.

As for the other portion, that is what myself and many others have got to deside.
Thanks shmee, but I absolutely hate the nightmare that comes with porting a head. It's not a situation where you have a 2 minute conversation, order a part, and send it out. Start to finish with all the details, it is absolutely the hardest money you can earn and a huge draw on time. There is the problem of core heads; the long wait and the all the phone calls "is it ready yet", then you ruin someones summer because it wasn't ready in time for the big ride; inevitably, you end up with a problem in 1 out of 10 heads because a valve guide turned, or you unkowingly broke through somewhere and it's seeping oil, or you assumed your valve manufacturer made every valve stem exactly the same diameter, but they change with every run, or a valve seal gets damaged during install and you will never know it until you run it; the list goes on and on and gets new ones added to it every couple of months. Those are time and money eaters. We've talked about not even offering them, but I just can't bring myself to do it when there is that much power to be had and I want my teammates to have the best to wax the arrogant competition.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

dragon and yjacket: I am in a position with computers where you guys are with engines. I use one everyday and know what I want it to do, I've even take a few apart. Got a few of them back together right. I've done upgrades that helped and upgrades that didn't help. I'm typing on a 1998 model HP that has been outstanding- never a virus, never a problem of any kind. On the other hand, my 2005 model top of the line laptop has been nothing but problems and the performance stinks in some areas. After all these years of problem free HP computers, Never again will I own a HP computer.
Now, I'm being told if I don't get a 64 bit computer, a top of the line 32 bit will be outdated before the year is out. All new programming will be 64 bit. And it needs to be dual core to run the powerful stuff on the internet today. This 1998 dinosaur has cable broadband, but it's slower than dial up. It is always locking up these days- just can't run with the new technology. I don't want to buy brand new technology and be a guinea pig- unlike engine builders, the computer companies don't get called to the mat when things don't work out. And I don't recommend you guys buy the first or 2nd of a new performance part that hasn't gone thru the paces of testing.

I will go more in depth elsewhere - let's make this a treasure hunt- see if you can find it!

Old 02-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

Old 02-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Range Rover
Keeps busy in the garage building one thing or another.

Speaking of your computer locking up, how come us DS riders dont have a lockup yet. It seems all the Yammie and hondas have something.
Or are we getting closer to having one?

Old 02-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 222

dragon and yjacket: I am in a position with computers where you guys are with engines. I use one everyday and know what I want it to do, I've even take a few apart. Got a few of them back together right. I've done upgrades that helped and upgrades that didn't help. I'm typing on a 1998 model HP that has been outstanding- never a virus, never a problem of any kind. On the other hand, my 2005 model top of the line laptop has been nothing but problems and the performance stinks in some areas. After all these years of problem free HP computers, Never again will I own a HP computer.
Now, I'm being told if I don't get a 64 bit computer, a top of the line 32 bit will be outdated before the year is out. All new programming will be 64 bit. And it needs to be dual core to run the powerful stuff on the internet today. This 1998 dinosaur has cable broadband, but it's slower than dial up. It is always locking up these days- just can't run with the new technology. I don't want to buy brand new technology and be a guinea pig- unlike engine builders, the computer companies don't get called to the mat when things don't work out. And I don't recommend you guys buy the first or 2nd of a new performance part that hasn't gone thru the paces of testing.

I will go more in depth elsewhere - let's make this a treasure hunt- see if you can find it!

64 bit, I agree. And the bigger the hard drive the better. After that it is more fluff.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

yjacket: that's not bad estimating. Some of the easiest and first hp/dollar stuff is around $100/hp. After that, it just gets higher and higher until I'm spending $1000 for that last 2 hp.

Basic BajaX: just another one of those situations where you get the prototype stuff hand built, then finding time to test and tune it (and not at a big race- you want to go with what you know works), then finding someone to build it for you in quantities so it's affordable (and I use that term loosely!), then money and deposits, then getting them to build a prototype and inspecting/testing their copy, then .....ugh, this is wearing me out....
It seems like this on every new product.

Dragon: good, I've been getting good info.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneMe
Viper:

One of my buddies is having The Bom do his port work and go with one size larger valves. If I remember right, Marky had mentioned the one size larger thing as well. MUCH less expensive and plenty of flow for a stock bore engine. Sounds like a winner!

Ron Wood has impressive gains.

I don't have any first hand info on HPR so others can chime in. . .

I'ld bet that most of the guys above send theirs out to someone and have them do the work but, I could be wrong.

Let us know what you find and go with for future reference.

I'll let you know how my buddies build goes. . . will probably be a few months. . . he's got some scars on the cylinder and needed a new piston so, he's going with a 102mm bore and the head work. 12.5:1 compression and Race 7 cams.
How did this build work out ?

Old 12-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah I like to hear also