Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

TAOTAO 250D crazy high idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TAOTAO 250D crazy high idle

hey guys, need help.

just put the ATV back together after almost a year hunting down parts and basically making my own wiring harness after buying 2 that weren't right.

the problem:
i can get it to start and run, but it idles at what seems full throttle.
I took the carb off, cleaned it, cleaned out all the ports, did get some gunk sh*t out of it and re-installed it,
same thing!
took it back off, checked for any cracks, none found, took the rubber adapter between the carb and engine off and checked it for holes/leaks, none found.
re-installed,,, again crazy high idle!

I am ready to just blow that thing up now!!! any ideas, short of buying a new carb???

Thanks for any help

Old 09-17-2015, 06:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any chance you put the carb slide in the wrong direction? Are the O rings in place on the carb and the intake?

Old 09-18-2015, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

No,, I payed attention to how things went when I took everything apart and made sure it went back the right way, I've learned my lesson from not paying attention to things lol

Old 09-18-2015, 08:13 PM
Range Rover

How about the throttle cable housing hanging up where it fits into the top of the carb or at the twist grip?

Old 09-18-2015, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I called the manufacturer and was told that the cable end should not be inside the top portion of the carb, so I had to use a pair of vise grips to make sure it didnt fall in again,, same thing happens, crazy high idle,,,,, the cable is free all the way to the grip.
maybe a bad carb???

Old 09-19-2015, 06:53 AM
Range Rover

Always hard to tell how much mechanical experience someone has via the internet. I don't know what you mean about the cable not being inside the top portion of the carb. Best bet at this point is to remove the air filter so you can look in the venturi to see if the slide is closing. It should close all the way if the idle stop screw is backed out.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

the airfilter has been off the whole time, and I honestly can't tell if the venturi is moving with adjusting the idle screw. It doesn't seem to be, but if I hit the throttle it does move, but not very much.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:16 AM
Range Rover

Try removing the throttle cable completely from the carb then start it and see if it still revs.

BTW the venturi doesn't move, it's just the shaped hole through which the air flows.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

if it stills revs crazy high, what do you think the issue would be?

Old 09-21-2015, 09:02 AM
Range Rover

Removing the cable completely should let the throttle slide close completely as long as the slide is inserted correctly and the idle stop screw is backed out. If the engine still revs with the slider completely closed, it has a big air leak somewhere between the carb and the head.

Quick Reply: TAOTAO 250D crazy high idle