CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Smoke on decel...where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke on decel...where to start?

I'm starting to get a bit of smoke on decel. It's fine at idle, but when riding or just burping the throttle it puffs. I'm running rich at the moment and need to get that fixed, but was wondering what you guys feel is the culpret of the smoke.

Old 01-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I assume we are talking about blue smoke, right?

Old 01-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Trailblazer

Yep, blue smoke.

I mentioned the running rich problem because I wasn't sure if there would be a connection or not.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sometimes running rich will add to the quantity of smoke by adding some black to it. It might make your oil problem look worse than it is. I would bet you have worn valve seals. Have you had the head apart recently?

Old 01-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer

Never. Is that something a shade tree mechanic can handle? I've done 2 strokes, but one ever had 1 4 stroke apart.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

I just did my seals when I put in my piston. You have to remove the head to get the valves out. The seals are the easy part. Its getting to them is the hard part. The way I do things, if your in it that deep put it back together with better stuff.....like a piston. That would also get you new rings. So its more like a rebuild, but worth the piece of mind when its all done.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I wouldn't try it. At minimum I would buy a valve spring depressor that is made for the job but my first choice would be to take it to a cylinder head shop with your newly ordered valve seals.

Ron

Old 01-24-2006, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider

Right, you remove the head to use a valve spring compressor to compress your springs to remove the keepers. The valve then slides right out, and your springs are free. Then you will see a simple valve seal, pop that off with a screw driver. Then take your new one (like 5 bucks each) and push it on. I used a small socket to just give it a small tap tap to make sure its seated.

If your not good with a wrench and never have seen a vavle spring compressor or dont know what that is, then dont touch your engine.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSNUT
At minimum I would buy a valve spring depressor that is made for the job but my first choice would be to take it to a cylinder head shop with your newly ordered valve seals.
Ron
I have a question. Is it possible to change valve seals on an atv without pulling the head (just as you can do on car engines)?

Old 01-24-2006, 03:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would say it would be if you were to do something like fill your cylinder with fine nylon rope then crank the motor over by hand until the piston pushes the rope up against the valves, then do your work. I am not sure if you could get the spring compressor on very easily with the frame in the way. If you had to pull the motor out to do it, it would probably take longer...... unless you can pull the motor without having to remove the !@#$%^&* exhaust header bolts. Those things are tedious![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I guess anything is possible.

Ron

Quick Reply: Smoke on decel...where to start?