CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Who bleeds after an oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Who bleeds after an oil change

Originally posted by: Hightower
beginning in 2001, the model year I have, they came fitted with a vent tube that tees off from the hose fitting at the supply pump inlet, and it goes back to the oil tank. this allows the supply line to self prime via. gravity with no air lock preventing it. this was for two reasons - so that after an oil change, if the line was emptied, it would self prime - and also after a rollover in a wreck, if the bike was upside down for any length of time the supply hose may have emptied back to tank.

I have never, ever, blead my 2001 model - riding it for 5 years with dozens of oil changes. After changing your oil, if you start the bike and the red dash light does not go out, then you better shut it down and blead. Otherwise, you are good to go. That is of course, assuming the pressure switch is not screwed up, and since these oil pressure swtiches can and do screw up from time to time, I routinely inspect mine. Right before an oil change is a good time to check it. Start the bike, confirm there is no red light, then kill the bike leaving the key on and see if the red light comes on. It should be lit with the key on but engine off, due to lack of oil pressure. If the red light and pressure switch are behaving correctly before starting an oil change, then it can be relied on a half hour later when you are done with the oil change.

I also never empty the supply line like the manual suggests. the DS holds a gallon, and the few ounces in the supply line are not worth the mess. This also only helps to insure that no priming/bleeding is necesary.
I thought the screwed up oil pressure light was standerd equipment on all late model DS's. lol. =]

Old 01-24-2006, 11:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info. So Hightower, what would you think about the seized '06 and the dealer's diagnosis of a failure to bleed it? I just don't see how that is possible.

So, 2001 was the first year with the bypass....... good.

Ron

Old 01-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

LOL Ron, yes I've replaced my oil pressure switch twice in 5 years!

As for the dealers claim about the cause of trashed bearings, all I can say is yeah my @ss! Like you said, they find any excuse they can. But fact is, if a person is asked by a dealer whether or not they bleed the system after each oil change, well the correct answer is obvious. They should say the word "YES". Any answer other than YES is setting theirself up for the inevitable. And if there is anybody out there who has gone to the dealer and been asked that question, and did not know what the dealer was talking about, they should have simply read the Operators Manual!

Old 01-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

On my last two oil changes (03 model), I have had my properly functioning oil light stay on after changing the oil (never had a problem on the first four oil changes). The light goes off after two or three minutes of running at idle. I realize that letting the motor run with the light on is probably a dumb thing to do. I tried to take the bleeder screw off, but it is virtually impossible with hand tools. I took the bike to the dealer, he tried to break the bleeder screw loose, and proceeded to break the bit on his impact gun. So he ordered me another bleeder screw, which I will have him put in the next time I have reason to go there, so I can do my oil changes properly.

I used to have a 400ex, and the oil changes were simple, clean and worry free. With my DS, I seem to get a mess and a headache every time.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

I love this forum. One last thing to remember. Check that filter in the oil tank it gets nasty. Thanks guys

Old 01-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always had to bleed the system on my 2000. I even had to bleed it on the trail 1 day after rolling the bike and not being able to set the school bus up on her wheels right away. If you think bleeding the system at home in the shop is a pain - try it on the trail with the factory tool kit !!!

Old 01-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

The only thing I do after an oil change is clean up the mess I made... but really I have never had to bleed my system.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

all i know is that little red light has never come on when riding or the engine running. i assume thats good. it does come on when i turn the key on and stays on until it fires up. once running its back off. no problems just good smooth running. i have rolled it plenty of times as well. i was the king of crash last year until i bought the new plastics, headlight upgrade, and alba graphix. now i am alot more careful. and the bus is happy with that i think?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

It comes on when the machine is off because the engine does not have oil pressure (makes sense when you think about it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

Its just in general good to make sure the light never comes on! Those oil pressure switches to have a tendancy to go out or have issues, which is why I went with a mechanical pressure gauge (just nice to see exactly what the pressure is)

Old 01-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

i know thats why....roost..i was refering to what hightower said a few posts above. hence i know my sensor is working..... but anyway thanks for the lesson.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Who bleeds after an oil change