CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Cam failure, major bummer

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam failure, major bummer

wait a minute an hpr5 cam. i thought i owned there most agressive cams in the hpr4 drag cams. is there something going on here that i dont know about?

Old 01-26-2006, 10:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Keith call me if you need that info

Old 01-27-2006, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

According to HPR's web site there is a HPR5 cam. HPR4 might of been their most aggressive cam sometime ago, but those damn Kentucky boys won't stop improving upon their stuff. From what I understand, the HPR3 that I got over a year ago are different then the current HPR3 cams. Its almost like buying computers, just because you have the best today does not mean you will have the best tomorrow!

Scatterbrain, you asked if you need to have the head ported to match the new cams. I believe Eric mentioned that its a package deal, and that the cam design can take advantage of the type of porting done. I strongly believe that engines need to be looked at as packages instead of components. Make one change and it effects everything, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:12 AM
Range Rover

Sorry to hear about your break-down. But I would definitely have the same builder that is replacing the cams do the port work, if any needs to be done with the new cams that your planning on running. I wish you luck, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scatter, yes I still have the 5's. But with the porting, Eric says I need them recut. They are basically making up for bad porting in my motor, and wont need that big of cam with proper porting. I think the 4's are still the way to go. Dsnut, the HPR4 nitrous cams rock while on the juice.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

I just finished building this stupid motor about 3 or4 weeks ago, boy thats nice to know that im already outdated.

Old 01-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

2Big, how do you know that your current cams aren't the best cams for YOU? Just because there is something newer on the market doesn't always mean its better for you.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

i dont i just hate to spend the kind of money i spent and have it outdated before i log 5 hours on the stupid thing. its just like my computer before it got here in the mail there were upgrades that i had already upgraded to and now they were old before even using the computer. maybe there not as good for me as what im running rite now, but ihave called them guys so often that the receptionnist and i are almost on a first name basis. i hate bothering people like that, but if im already outdated on cams maybe i need to buy another motor.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Please don't take this wrong. I am simply making a point, respectfully.....

One could find a different builder who hasen't improved things in a couple of years and who is not likely to make advancements for some time. With HPR even if you are behind the curve a bit after just a few months, that is still a very small percentage of people who have a better setup than yours. My setup is a year or so behind the times. I will be riding it for at least another year before I upgrade again.

Your bikes are awsome by the stabdards of 99.8% of us on this forum.

Ron[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

It don't matter, I hate being behind even before I start [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Cam failure, major bummer