CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Custom X Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2000, 05:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.bombardierds650.com have just done a review of an aftermarket pipe that is manufactured in Australia, the dyno results are awsome, check it out.

Old 11-09-2000, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know I would call it awesome my Alba pipe gained 5 HP at around 3000 rpm and hit a max HP of 43.9 with stock carb and K&N air filter

Old 11-09-2000, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

Nice to have more options, but that sucker is way too loud. Oregon has a 91 decibal (or 93?) limit. They set up sound checks at random times in random places, usually in trails on a blind turn, and stop you for sound checks. They also do checks in the parking lot/campgrounds. Spark arrestors are also required.

Loud exhausts get old really quick. I had a supertrap on a stroked 200X ATC that was modified by Paul Turner? That sucker was loud. It wasn't very fun after several hours of riding. That was a pretty cool ATC otherwise, it had a custom scalloped gas tank and had the steering stops removed, so it could turn about 80 degrees or more. It was setup for flat track racing with a wide axle too. It decided to eat a valve at about 7000 rpm. Did a good job at that, punching through the piston and ending up in the oil strainer. :-)

Laters,
CRT_Leech

Old 11-09-2000, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

The DynoJet kit wasn’t available during our testing. That’s one reason why we didn't re-jet. Also, to show you what a drastic difference there is between switching exhausts, to encourage re-jetting.

We try to keep the quad as stock as possible during comparison. No need to include a ton of variables when you want to compare apples to apples.

In regards to the decibel readings, there is a standard set distance in which to take the readings, however I am unaware of it. I was quite near (only 8’). Also take note, the dyno was inside the building.

I will agree however, it is quite a difference from stock. But I don’t find it annoyingly loud.

Frankly I'm surprised at the feedback. I thought everyone would be eager to see actual hard core facts regarding an exhaust system. Instead of a manufacturer "claiming" results.

Old 11-09-2000, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

CALD650

Do you have the dyno results eg grapgh for your pipe or are the figures that you are quoting, just word of mouth?

Old 11-09-2000, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

Xray I have the have the dyno results eg graph.

Old 11-10-2000, 08:07 AM
Pro Rider

CRTLeech,

I meant to ask you, are you certain the limit is that low? If so, the stock DS' exhaust would still exceed that decible limit (unless at idle). Not to mention, all 2-strokes would be over regardless if they were stock or not. Do they perform the check at idle or do you they make you rev up the engine some as well?

Again, just curious, because I've never run into a sound restriction here in Michigan.

Old 11-10-2000, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, this is at idle. Yes, some of the two strokes don't pass, even with stock exhaust. I believe the older ones, that were made before the sound regulations went into effect are allowed a little leeway.

If I remember correctly, they may even be trying to go down to 89 decibels at idle within a year or two.

Forests, resorts and some secluded homes surround the dunes, which is the main reason for the sound regulations and the mandatory spark arrestor.

The Rangers/Forestry service Sheriffs cruise the dunes keeping an eye out for stranded/hurt/lost people and people with broken down equipment. They also monitor the beaches since you are not to exceed 25mph on the beach.

They are really polite, courteous and great people. Some of them that have been out there for a while have some really good stories too.

That combined with some of the best dunes, nice weather and great sites make the Oregon dunes a great place to ride.

Laters,
CRT_Leech