CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

HPR Race Head - Wayyy more than you'd expect

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPR Race Head - Wayyy more than you'd expect

I feel for you as well bigdaddy, I have been there as well. The best of luck to you sir..

Old 02-09-2006, 02:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have a good feeling that in the end it will all work out ok for BIG

Old 02-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear of this happening, you don't know me, but I've read the bomb forum for years, I admire how you guys help one another in time of need.

You seem like a real stand up guy, not placeing any blame on anyone but yourself.

I know with race motors that there's no warantee's, but from a business perspective, there's offen more to be gained by helping you out, than lost by not, if you know what I mean.

I know HPR are stand up guys to, from all I've read, the world is watching, good luck on your rebuild.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:17 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tell ya, there ain't a better bunch of guys then the Bomb guys!!! You guys really are like a big extended family. I can't wait to meet you guys someday in the sand. The first rounds on me!!!!

Old 02-09-2006, 07:13 PM
H
Pro Rider

Big D you're handling this a lot better than I would. I hope the HPR boys do help you out. I know if I wasn't told something that I should or shouldn't do and mr motor blew I would be EXTREMELY agitated, most everyone on here feels HPR will come through. I know of another builder on here that built a couple motors, told the owners to use race fuel, they didn't there were problems as a result and he's crucified on here. Not understanding why. But I'm sure the kentucky boys will take care of it so their reputation doesn't get tarnished. Hope it runs even better than before for you. You deserve that much at least. If you were closer I'd loan you my 72hp TVI bike.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

LTZevil400,
Man you better hope there are not to many of us around when you offer up a first round [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] with the events i've been to with these guy's you better have a lot cus' they are some drinkers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Myself included [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Just don't bring out the Apple Pie till way late cus' the ninja and PD650 get a little crazy on that stuff [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Tom

Old 02-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

H,

I don't know you yet but I need to clarify what I can about this situation.

There is no doubt Mike is a classy guy and we all know he is a good mechanic but things happen. When someone takes on the responsibility of putting parts together themselves, they also take on a certain amount of liability. HPR are motor builders first and foremost. They are a supplier of parts only by necessity but at great risk. The minute they lose control of the install, they should not be held liable for installation errors. Look at it this way. They make money on the parts and the labor. I have never paid them for labor, only parts. When I call Randall and ask for his designed parts and kits but say I am going to install them myself, I am reducing his income to save myself money. He is gracious enough to sell me the parts anyway because he is still making some money on them even if he didn't get the installation work. When I go to install them and I call him with questions, I am now not only not paying him for the labor but I am costing him time so he can teach me how to do what I am not willing to pay him for.

It makes sense for Mike to do his own work because of his significant abilities. The burden to ask questions and to have the necessary knowledge of the circumstances was on Mike in a fair world and he has saved a ton of money over the years doing his own work if you average the wins and the losses. I am in a similar situation right now myself. I, through shear stupidity and sloppyness, incorrectly gapped my rings on my 730 and all hell broke loose this last weekend. I warped my piston and scored my cylinder. I am not about to blame Randall or Eric for my mistake. I didn't even pay them to take any risk. All I paid them for was the cost of their parts, a small bite out of their R&D recovery and a slim margin for them to keep their doors open and a little for them. That is all I paid for. Even Gary will tell you that the margins in the performance industry are slim and it is a lot of risk for how much money you make at it. I promise you that HPR and friends are doing way more than you know to restore this motor regardless of the things I just said.

Why? Good people helping a good man in a crappy situation.

Ron

Old 02-09-2006, 08:09 PM
H
Pro Rider

Ron, I agree wholeheartedly about the money thing that they lose from not installing it themselves. But the head was altered from the norm. Bigdaddy knows how to put a head together he knows it needs the cups, except on this head. Given the same scenario would call up Eric and ask "do I need spring cups in this head?" I don't think so. But maybe you're more methodical than me. I just think it was a lack of communication no more, no less.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:17 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: bombdsbaja
LTZevil400,
Man you better hope there are not to many of us around when you offer up a first round [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] with the events i've been to with these guy's you better have a lot cus' they are some drinkers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Myself included [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Just don't bring out the Apple Pie till way late cus' the ninja and PD650 get a little crazy on that stuff [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Tom
That's alright, I don't travel light to the dunes. mmmmm apple pie........................

Old 02-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSNUT
H,

I don't know you yet but I need to clarify what I can about this situation.

There is no doubt Mike is a classy guy and we all know he is a good mechanic but things happen. When someone takes on the responsibility of putting parts together themselves, they also take on a certain amount of liability. HPR are motor builders first and foremost. They are a supplier of parts only by necessity but at great risk. The minute they lose control of the install, they should not be held liable for installation errors. Look at it this way. They make money on the parts and the labor. I have never paid them for labor, only parts. When I call Randall and ask for his designed parts and kits but say I am going to install them myself, I am reducing his income to save myself money. He is gracious enough to sell me the parts anyway because he is still making some money on them even if he didn't get the installation work. When I go to install them and I call him with questions, I am now not only not paying him for the labor but I am costing him time so he can teach me how to do what I am not willing to pay him for.

It makes sense for Mike to do his own work because of his significant abilities. The burden to ask questions and to have the necessary knowledge of the circumstances was on Mike in a fair world and he has saved a ton of money over the years doing his own work if you average the wins and the losses. I am in a similar situation right now myself. I, through shear stupidity and sloppyness, incorrectly gapped my rings on my 730 and all hell broke loose this last weekend. I warped my piston and scored my cylinder. I am not about to blame Randall or Eric for my mistake. I didn't even pay them to take any risk. All I paid them for was the cost of their parts, a small bite out of their R&D recovery and a slim margin for them to keep their doors open and a little for them. That is all I paid for. Even Gary will tell you that the margins in the performance industry are slim and it is a lot of risk for how much money you make at it. I promise you that HPR and friends are doing way more than you know to restore this motor regardless of the things I just said.

Why? Good people helping a good man in a crappy situation.

Ron

Ron, agree with what u are saying now 100%, but it wasnt just a few weeks ago u were disagree with me when i said it...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] i really think it comes down to miscommunicaion between both parts, (HPR and Bigdaddy). i just hope people dont start judging HPR's customer service and ethics because of a miscommunication...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: HPR Race Head - Wayyy more than you'd expect